Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Challenging Psychosis: Working with Thoughts // 23 Aug, 7pm AEST

Hi @Acacia

psychosis, would be a step further than CBT

interesting as my hubby could not do CBT

Re: Topic Tuesday // Challenging Psychosis: Working with Thoughts // 23 Aug, 7pm AEST

Hello everyone, @Koya here.
I've found that sometimes' depending on how deep they're hearing but reminding them it's only a voice, they have a choice of not believing oracting out it's words

It's often very hard to convince someone that they are experiencing psychosis and should seek medical attention.

Is it possible for someone to be misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and then diagnosed with bipolar and OCD a few years later. 

Exactly @CherryBomb. And I think that's something friends, family and carers can be supportive of. 

Does anyone with us tonight care for someone who has experienced psychosis?

yes

that is a good question @purebliss

I followed the links to the information about CBT for schizophrenia, very interesting and I've printed some of it out for reference. I had already read some other articles about it, including the info in Xavier Amador's book.

When the psychiatrist said that as my wife refused to take her medication there was nothing he could do, I asked "What about CBT?".

His reply was a dismissive "That won't work."

In the 2006 paper I read that CBT was only used on patients receiving antipsychotic medication. Would that be the reason for his statement, or is he just out of touch with current evidence based treatment?

In any case I would have expected a reasoned explanation of why it wouldn't work! 

@Koya that a great point - it depends on the severity of the beliefs. Perhaps you can share your experienc with @Fatima. I agree there's a point where it's hard to convince someone that its psychosis or not real. This is where it's important to find a balance of listening respectfully to descriptions of symptoms without endorsing or challenging the experience. @Acacia what are your thoughts?

yes

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance