Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exercise as Therapy // Tues. 19 June 7pm AEST

I've kept up my doing 2 yoga classes every week, for the past 6 & 1/2 years.

Which really surprised me, considering I have an aversion to sports & many forms of exercise.

I enjoy walking, I've always done some of that every week.

Adge

yoga is great though I've been meaning to go for 2 years, i recently found a new friend to go to a yoga class with next week. i was too shy to go by myself i guess

That's great @Adge

how do you stay motivated 

BB 

@Margot I go better with motivation when I'm in a routine, and also it is easier for me in the mornings. I have heard that there is a lot for little and often, and I'd like to do more of that. I spend too much time sitting and there is a lot of evidence that it's very unhealthy.

In terms of the body beautiful messages, I don't consume the magazines/outlets that promote this. There is a whole industry devoted to making people, particularly women, feel bad about their bodies so they'll spend money trying to 'fix' themselves. It's so pervasive in society that it's impossible to avoid, but I try to steer clear of the worst examples.

Yoga is a great gentle exercise and it has the added benefits of being a mindfulness practice too. 

Inviting a friend along is a great way to feel supported, stay motivated, and to enhance the benefits of exercise by making it social too @FeeFee1976 

That's a very good question @BlueBay

Because I have major fatigue (on-going) from sleep apnea & cptsd - no motivation for most things, & get too easily exhausted.

It's the sense of connection that I get with the people at yoga class, that keeps me going. It's a sense of shared purpose - & that gives me motivation to keep going.

Adge

dcsfsdfs.png

A review of the evidence on the effectiveness of exercise for improving depression showed that exercise is moderately more effective than no therapy for reducing symptoms. Another study showed that exercise has a large significant antidepressant effect in people with depression. As a result of this the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists recommends exercise as a treatment for mood disorders, and suggest it also has a role in preventing relapse of symptoms.  

Have you talked with your treatment team about exercise and mental health? If so, what have these discussions been like? How confident do you feel talking about exercise-based interventions?

@Margot

My doctor keeps telling I need to walk every day and I would frrl

good. Even for 1/2 hr. but I'm too anxious to leave the house. How do I get past this? 

everybody is telling me to exercise - doctor, counsellor, partner, parents. i am still reluctant.

we got given an indoor exercise bike, my partner uses it to help his mental health but i hang laundry on it
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance