Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Compassion Fatigue // Tues 26 Feb, 7pm AEDT

@Volcanogirl, Husband's as burnt out as me. Smiley Frustrated Our daughter's living reasonably nearby, but not with us, but we both end up "on call" at all sorts of odd hours.

Hi all,

Late comer here (have my head stuck in uni study notes and missed the notification until now 😖) which is unfortunate as tonight's discussion is quite timely here. Lots on here at the moment and have had some confusing emotions over the past week that could be attributed to this.   I will be reading back over the discussion though. Just sorry I could not contribute. 

Hi again everyone .... although I expect I’m sorta talking to an empty room now .... but when y’all are around again ....

Thanks so much @Rockpool @Lauz .  These info evenings are so great, because they are well prepared and targeted to a particular problem or area of need.

It also means so much when everyone pitches in and shares their experience and the insights that have come along with it ..... wtg .... and welcome to @Volcanogirl and @Live50 👋

Experiencing pyschosomatic symptoms has been the catalyst for me each time I have stepped up my level of personal care, not just in terms of self-care, although I have been learning how to slather that on like yogurt on sunburn .... but also recognising that it has become essential for me to reach beyond my circumstances and find care services for myself.  If I don’t, it’s clear to me that my health will begin to fail too, and there are no other family members available to care for the lot of us under this roof.  

If I go down, we all go down ...., but some of us are still not able to undestand that.  There will be others here who can attest to the same, including those like @Adge who are self-carers because there literally is nobody else in the household.

I have made a commitment to getting my hair and nails done, and occasional massages.  I budget for these things like budgeting for medications.  If I can’t pay someone else to do them, then I try to exchange these “services” with friends - I do her nails, she does my hair - and I know where there are some massage chairs in shopping centres that take $2 coins .....

And nature is a big healing influence for me.

Hooe this helps someone else ..... 💐💕

Nice to see you again @Rockpool  🖐

@VeeM  @Corny  @LittleSister 👋

@Faith-and-Hope, sometimes it's funny how personal self care can be. I've opted out of church and carer group "pamper days" that have involved facials and nail spas etc. because I hate having other people fuss around me like that. Smiley Tongue Pity I couldn't have sent them your way.
Husband and I often try to have a cuppa together on "errands" trips, and we try to work in occasional days out together. Our adult kids gave us some vouchers plus supplementary money for a couple of "days out", but the venues were all in the big city, and we find that a stressful place to be. Kind of counteracts their good intentions. The vouchers were ones they'd been given, so us not using them didn't leave them out of pocket for nothing... we're finding local treats to use the funds on instead.

Yes @Smc , it can be like that .... definitely.

I find actually paying someone to look after my (big problems!) nails and sorting out my (can-be-rats-nest) hair is easier for me emotionally than accepting the pampering of people I know.  For them it’s a paid service.  For me on the receiving end it’s self-care, in a way that means much more than they could know.

I have targeted two areas that reduce my tears and frustrations in relation to self-care, and I have tried to find rural-ish within the city, because masses of people and buildings is not peaceful for me either .....

Hi everyone!

I am coming through to close this thread but love seeing the conversation continue so thought I started another thread for you all to keep up the chat. Have tagged everyone in it here 🌟

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance