Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Feeling anxious when away from your loved one // Tues. 24 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

It's not uncommon to worry about a loved one, but it becomes a problem if it impacts our day to day life.

Does anxiety spike when you have to leave your loved one to go to work each day?

Have you stopped going out with friends because you're worried about leaving your loved one at home?

While the desire to stay at home and keep an eye on a loved one may help you control your anxiety in the short term, allowing it to stop you doing things that help your own mental health can be damaging in the long run.

During this Topic Tuesday we'll open the floor to hear how worry and anxiety about your loved one has impacted your life and share techniques and strategies so you don't compromise your own mental health.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

Want to read more now? Check out our latest blog on this topic.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

108 REPLIES 108

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling anxious when away from your loved one // Tues. 24 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Hi everyone,

A special shout out to @Pidge @TAB @Adge @Determined @Shaz51

Welcome to tonightโ€™s Topic Tuesday about feeling anxious when being away from a loved one who you are caring for.

Tonight is about being around those who are in the same boat, sharing your own experiences and sharing whatโ€™s worked (and what hasnโ€™t!) for you.

I thought we could kick off by saying hi and a bit about yourself and the loved one you care for.

For those who are new to Topic Tuesday - hit the 'reply' button if you want to contribute. Don't forget to hit the 'refresh' page to get the most up to date posts.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling anxious when away from your loved one // Tues. 24 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Good evening @NikNik

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป Hi @Former-Member ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi this is my first forum. My 23 yr old daughter has bipolar and anxiety I consider myself very luck in the main it is reasonably well controlled.

Hi @NikNik Iโ€™m not really in that boat, well guilt/duty/banging head figuratively against wall as in going back for more re elder-person. ๐Ÿ˜€ think am over it and thatโ€™s probably a good think. Sister has been doing any โ€˜caringโ€™ .. Iโ€™ve got the Prodigal Son sewn up tho ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Welcome @Tanglefoot - so pleased you could join us!

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and wisdom throughout the night, and I hope you find tonight helpful!

We'll hold off for a couple of minutes to see if anyone else jumps in. 

Hi @TAB

Great to 'see' you tonight Smiley Happy

We may get some people join in along the way, which is totally fine Smiley Happy

So let's kick off!

For many, fear, concern and worry about a loved one is always present, even when weโ€™re not with the person we support and care for.

For some it might keep us up at night, while for others it might occupy their minds while they are at work or while socializing with others. Our thoughts are occupied with wondering how they are going, hoping they are okay and safe.

These feelings of worry, concern and sometimes anxiety, can be particularly present when the loved one isnโ€™t around.

Is this something that you have experienced? Is it a constant thing or every now & then? Have there been particular areas of your life this has impacted you?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance