Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // CLOSED

MIFQ logo.png

With this year's theme for Schizophrenia Awareness Week being 'Are you still in the dark?' ,  this Topic Tuesday we will be shining light on the myths and misconceptions of schizophrenia.

Does someone in your life have schizophrenia? We'd love to hear the myths and misconceptions you've come across. We will be joined by @Outlanderali from Mental Illness Fellowship QLD who do some myth busting of her own. 

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // Tues, 24 May, 7pm AEST

Does anyone become cured of schizophrenia and not require medication ??

Re: Topic Tuesday // Myths and misconceptions of Schizophrenia // Tues, 24 May, 7pm AEST

Are there any statistics, or a least some understanding, about the prevalence of self medicating and the use of allicit drugs in younger adults aged 18 to 25 years? Thanks.

When is enough, enough? I have a son 35 who has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He is medication resistant, so at the moment he is in hospital receiving ECT, which is pretty much the last resort. Nothing else has worked. He is so abusive to his family, me especially and has been like this for many years now but now getting worse if that's possible. I realise he is ill, but sometimes his abuse cuts me in two. Most conversations end with him telling me to die. Great. I hang in there because he has no friends, family are barely hanging on and most times it's just me. How long do I keep
doing this? I have told him he hurts me and he says he can't help it. Really?

Something I was told by my partner's aunt is that you just have to remind yourself he is unwell and it is really difficult but you just cannot argue with an unwell person, easier said than done. My partner recently had another psychotic episode and said the cruellest, nastiest things but now that he is in recovery he honestly has absolutely no memory of it....none whatsoever. This makes it very difficult as he simply has no idea of how much I stood by him and fought the mental health system on his behalf ....he thinks that whilst he was in hospital for two months he was out of my hair, one less person to worry about, he could not be further from the truth. When your son is well, that's when you try to sit down calmly with him and try to discuss the effects the illness has on you and those around you. Of course for your son these things will be very hard to hear and he may get angry....it's all about timing and  I find giving little snippets of what it is like for you. This is how I try to deal with it anyway

Hi I am a mum of a 20 year old with schizophrenia. He is not violent towards anyone he is a gentle person. He is medicated. My biggest thing is I am scared of him committing suicide.  I dont think he would but it still scares me the thought. I dont live with my son he lives with his dad and sister her partner and there 4 yr old son. I would like to know can they lead a normal life. I would love to see him get his licence and a job just part time. I dont no how to help him either as he lives in Newcastle and i am in Brissie carering for my mum who has cancer.

Sticking to the theme, 'Myths and Misconceptions of Schitzoprhenia' and reading the above valid concerns of carers and knowing how utterly exhausting caring IS, I would like to share how vital tapping into mental illness focused Carer Support Groups, or individual Carer Counseilling can make the difference between perceiving as a carer that you are 'drowning' compared to feeling you are feeling supported and 'managing well' (Ask at your local Community Heath Centre, or google 'MIND Australia' or Carer Advisory Service comes, to name a few

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you to @seahorse @Sanefan @scaredmum @Attahua and @Heff for submitting your questions. Our special guest, @Outlanderali and the community will look to adress these questions throughout the night.

We have 10 mins until kick off, so this is a reminder to @Geronimo @Shaz51 @seahorse @Former-Member @L_Auddoddorn @titainx @leitor @Heff and @Sanefan about tonight's session.

Tonight is an opportunity to both ask questions and to share your own tips and advice to others, as you feel comfortable to do so. We've all had a variety of experiences, and are all very valuable.

So to kick off, I'd like to introduce you to our special guest tonight @Outlanderali from Mental Illness Fellowship QLD. 

Over to you Outlanderali 🙂

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for joining us tonight.

Lets use this space to try and break down some of the common misconceptions that society has about schizophrenia. Stigma is one of the biggest issues that people living with mental illness, carers, families and friends face, and a lot of these misconceptions come from outdated and antiquated thoughts about mental illness.

So if you have heard of a myth and want to check if its true, or want to bust your own myth let us know!

Lets use this space as a learning experience for all.

Please feel free to write any question!

Outlanderali 

Great question @seahorse!

When we talk about mental illness, we like to use the word recovery. There is no cure for schizophrenia, but there is recovery. Recovery means a person living the life of their choice, with or without symptoms. Some people may need to take medication for the rest of their life, just as someone with diabetes has to take insulin, and someone with heart disease has to take medication, some people with schizophrenia may need to take medication. Some people will recovery from their symptoms, and no longer experience them. Every individual is different, and depending on the support available for the individual, everyone’s outcomes will be different.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance