Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday **closed** Technology that makes our lives easier

Hi all,

This Topic Tuesday is all about technology and how it can enhance your life.

During this session members and experts will share their most useful apps, videos  and websites which assists them in their role as a carer.

technology.jpg.png

Make the most of the technology you have at your fingertips!

It could be an app to help organise your day, a Youtube clip that runs you through a guided meditation or a website that helps you better understand mental health.

So join us from 7pm AEST to share your own favourite apps or websites.

Hit the 'like' button if you're going to join us!

Here is an app to check out in the meantime - Unstuck - Unstuck is a free app that helps you focus on and think differently about a stuck moment so you can move forward. It’s like having a coach on hand whenever you’re feeling stuck about a life situation.

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Topic Tuesday tonight at 7pm AEST / Technology that makes our lives easier

Good evening everyone and welcome to this month's Topic Tuesday!

Sometimes it can seem impossible keeping up to date with technology. There's apps for just about everything, exercising, eating, well-being, games, you name it. The list seems to grow more and more each day.

So tonight we'll be discussing what is out there so that we can share resources, and opinions on what's good, what's not so hot, and how to know what app to choose.

I'm inviting anyone who knows of apps to please contribute. Maybe you've got a certain issue and not sure what app can help. Or if you've got thoughts about using technology for well-being please drop us post.

I found this info on APS website: 

HOW TO CHOOSE AN APP?

It's got some information in there about how to choose a good and reliable app. Admittedly, it's for clincians but might for good for us too.

1.) Look for reviews and descriptions in the app store: Look at who it was developed by. For instance was it developed by health professional and IT teams. Also, was based on evidence-based. Looking on google scholar can help with this.

2.) The app should be trailed before buying. Is it easy to use? Is it engaging and something that you would like to use for an extended period.

3.) Is it visually appealing? Does it have a high level of interactivity that going to motivate you to use it.

Moodgym, is a great online resource where you can learn CBT. It's mainly for mood disorders. My partner used it, and found it really useful. 

Wooo, this is a very good topic- one i don't actually know much about at all.

Android and Apple would have 2 completely different App options wouldn't they?

Baboo

Thanks @BeHappy 

I'll add that to my digital tool kit. Smiley Happy

I found this list of the Top 10 apps on psych central.

Hi @Baboo 

That's a great question.

I believe that apps are usually designed for both apple and android. So no matter what you have, you should be able to get a version of the app that you want.

i Just finished looking into those top 10 Apps- they look fantastic

myCompass looks good! It was developed by UNSW and Black Dog Institute:

It is an interactive self-help service that aims to promote resilience and wellbeing for all Australians. myCompass is a guide to good mental health – it points you in the right direction. You can track your moods, write about them and view information and tips. You can also choose to do one of the modules designed to help you manage mild to moderate stress, anxiety and depression.

THERE IS SO MANY lol wow, people have thought of every thing... you can tell i havent had a smart phone for long Smiley LOL

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance