Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

kristin
Senior Contributor

Cognitive Training Games

Hi,

Has anyone else tried these? I've been using Lumosity(.com) for about 18 months.

They have lots of interesting research articles on their blog. You can sign up for free for a month (I think that's how long), after that you have to pay but I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made in enhancing my learning ability.

I've found it has helped heaps with my general mental acuity, and especially with remembering people's names and pressured decision making. These things I kind of expected improvement in.

The big surprise was when I started using a couple of the flexibility games to try and get better control of my "lizard brain" response when triggered (I have PTSD amongst other things) - where you lose conscious control of your reactions, or control is greatly diminished. I started using it this way about 12 months ago. It has hugely improved my ability to dampen (and quickly) unwanted andrenaline reactions (which I used to get lots). If anyone is interested in knowing more I am happy to explain, but otherwise won't bore you with the details.

Best regards,

Kristin

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cognitive Training Games

I have heard of brain training, but haven't done any yet..bought brain gym for Nintendo but haven't mastered Nintendo yet..I use lots of apps on my phone and my boys try to get me to play games that are educational on their iPads...work in progress for me....I do love popwords on iPad but haven't tried much else yet..

I have a friend who absolutely loves Luminosity and got me to try it.  I liked doing it but didn't go beyond the trial period because I got sick to death of it constantly asking me if I'd been on yet.  There were days I just didn't get on or did it later and others where I wanted to keep going and it wouldn't let me lol.  I don't do any others though.

I use the website braininjurycentre.com.au they only have four games, but I play them before I go to work. I find they just help me relax.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance