Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: A question for carers.

@Former-Member, thank you for your support. I know a lot about grief. As I saw it so aptly put, recently, "Grief is love with nowhere to go." I thought it was bad enough when my parents died because there is no way I will ever be able to look into their loving eyes, or feel their warm embrace but, being there when they passed, it wasn't hard to go through all the stages of grief in short time. Nor, for that matter, would I have wished either of them back (in the end). Dad had been looking forward to joining his beloved parents for some time. He was getting a little forgetful, and couldn't do the odd-jobs and tinkering that he loved; and watching his darling wife enduring surgery and wretched treatments, and having to take care of her the best he could (and he did quite admirably, but nursing wasn't necessarily his thing). And Mum had suffered enough, too, and there was no way she could or should have been resuscitated as her cancer had spread to just about everywhere.

But to have a child who you loved before you conceived them, who you did your very best by, loved them to the edge of the known universe and back (and thought the feeling was mutual) be torn away from you - like willingly being taken hostage - and being cut out of their life, knowing that they are indeed alive and you could look them in the eye and give them a hug but that's never going to happen, is the kind of grief that keeps on giving. The traditional stages of grief do not apply.

I have worked so hard to face painful truths about myself, people from the past (family/friends/employers/professionals) who I kept letting myself fall victim to because I judge people by my own standards, i.e. those with nothing to hide, hide nothing. To find out that my own child has gone out of their way to hide absolutely everything from me, maybe giving me some breadcrumbs here and there... between dropping bombshells on me... sheer devastation!

I've tried to remind him that (not that I'm wishing it on him) if he ever divorced or his wife passed away, he could always potentially find another wife. He only has one biological mother, and only WILL ever have one biological mother... but it seems to matter not to him. His wife's mother is far wittier, assertive, trendy, adventurous, refined and well-to-do than the original. So, if there's anything he wants to know about family history, medical history, his childhood... go ask her!

To be rejected by your adult child, whom you raised to be a better person than that, adds insult to injury. 

When people refer to the saying, "Life begins at forty," it doesn't mean that the kids are probably off your hands and you can go and party like it's 1999 again. I've learned that the human brain doesn't fully develop during one's mid-20s, as neurologists would have us believe. The anatomical and physiological maturity may have been achieved, but not the wisdom that only comes with age... and some adults never get that wisdom. Maybe it'll hit him in a few more years when he reaches that milestone, but I'm somewhat doubtful. I think that having children of one's own helps that process along for those who are not already developing a rein over their ego; but it seems that children are out of the equation for them and theirs which, sadly, I am thankful for ❤️

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member 

LE = lived experience

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Former-Member  i think we all need to put 2020 behind us, it has caused so much pain for a lot of people in all different ways. I know I will be glad to see the back of it.

BUT, I do think it is now YOUR time.  What ever it takes for you to find happiness away from family.  

Do you have hobbies, play sport, go to the gym or play bridge or enjoy singing in a choir, etc?

Also volunteering is a great way to not only give back to your community but for it to give you a community and a purpose to get up each day. I truly hope you can stay and be strong as you do matter.  Take care ❤️❤️

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member , thanks for explaining the shorthand (I automatically went to medical abbreviations, which should have been SLE, really).

I would like to offer my sincerest and most heartfelt thanks to you, @Former-Member , @WinterSun and @Sphinxly (the latter I sent a heart emoji to via the email notification of their comment (before I realised that it was a no-reply email address) for your unconditional love and support but I feel like I've stepped into a place where people are faced with real problems... not petty issues or imaginary woes like mine.

As such, I'm going to slink back under the rock from whence I crawled and continue hoping that the world forgets that I exist. I think it's best that way.

I will assure you that I will come to no harm through my own doing; I've caused the couple of people who still love me enough grief already and have no wish to willingly add to it.

Again, I thank you for being such kind and loving people. I wish I could have given you back at least a little of what you freely gave to me, but I don't seem to have anything of worth to offer anyone, any more.

To you all, I am sending the purest love and as much healing energy as I can recruit from the great unknown. May all your suffering be transmuted to peace and happiness ❤️❤️❤️ xxxoooxxx ❤️❤️❤️

Hi @Former-Member 

Everybody everywhere have problems.

Your posts attest to yours which are real and show great resilience in facing.

You are valuable and your insights relevant no need to go slinking anywhere.

There is no problem with your posts and the questions you posed.

I’m sorry you suffer in your relationship with your son and his choice not to interact with you. Should he ever become a parent he will get huge insight into child/parent relationships that he currently doesn’t have.

As parents nothing is guaranteed and as you stated, all the care, love and support in the world is no guarantee we will receive it back. There are also many children who staunchly stand by their parents who were essentially unparented. They are fortunate to have that.

I spent the day catching up with an older friend who said her son has told her he is going to end his life. He won’t say when or how just that he’s had enough of his life. There was nothing we could really say to help. I feel so badly for her that she now lives on tenderhooks waiting for news of the done deed. A terrible way to treat supportive parents especially as he is so intelligent and seems level headed in his choice for himself.

WinterSun

Former-Member
Not applicable

@WinterSun , I heard from my estranged child today, via email. They have taken three weeks to process our last contact and they were not sure how to "reach out" to me (and I've gotten to hate that term because of them and their condescending use of it in my vain attempts to actually connect with them).

They have given me an interpretation of what they think I meant/said... all of which was wrong. It seems that they feel the compulsion to read things into what I say and do that are not there.

They also set down their boundaries, yet again... in a (so-called) kind and caring manner. So I set my boundaries again, too, and pointed out to them that I have always had boundaries but they have chosen not to respect mine, but insist that theirs are adhered to, to the letter.

Although I remained civil, I spoke my truth and reminded them that their respect for our boundaries have - until now - been non-existent. I also expressed my wish to communicate with their actual self, rather than feeling like I am talking to their spouse, who despises me (despite having had less than a working week's contact with her in nine years... because she never wanted to have anything to do with our family, other than to have us all in one room and gaslight us all, simultaneously... just to see how far she could control us... and she has had us all under her pale, pudgy thumb. Hey, it got her Australian citizenship, in due course (she's now the citizen of three countries... and I can't help wonder why she has left those other two countries... maybe she has burned too many bridges there?).

But enough of my blathering. As for your friend being on tenterhooks, waiting for that devastating knock on the door, I am in the same situation really. Although my child does not appear to be suicidal, they are depressed and suffering from other signs of narcissistic abuse. My fear is that he will either harm himself, commit suicide, or drop dead through exhaustion and having lost the will to fight for "she who must be obeyed" to treat them with the respect they deserve (I truly hate addressing my child as a collective, but I still respect their wishes as much as is practicable).

But I may not get the knock on the door. For, should something happen to him (even just hospitalisation) I doubt that "she who must be obeyed" would even let us know. My child could be dead for years and I may be none the wiser... especially since communication with him is extremely limited and even my texts requesting a verbal audience with them may not be answered for a few weeks and seems to be becoming even less frequent.

I feel for all those in this wretched kind of situation. One of the big problems is that people do not seem to be afforded the luxury of expressing their own sorrows... this includes my younger son. I asked him, after responding to the estranged child, about his own suicide attempt, some 10 years or so ago. He still says he cannot explain why he did what he did. I don't believe him, because we all know why we do things, regardless of the foolishness behind it... and no-one likes admitting to being foolish, either.

Maybe I'm getting payback for being a less-than-perfect child, myself? But I at least spent many hours over the course of many years apologising for my youthful stupidity, and at least tried to make amends with my parents while I still could. And I was there to carry out the last possible kindness one human being can do for another... I helped to fill in their graves.

Until such time as my errant child makes a concerted effort to show that they "get it", they are not welcome at my burial. As I put it to them, "You have shown that you have not respected me while I'm alive so please do not attend my burial, pretending to pay respect to me after I'm dead."

I am at a loss to offer any kind of comfort, and am awaiting my account to be deleted. Again, I am taking more than I can give in return and ask your forgiveness for my shortcomings ❤️❤️❤️

@Former-Member 

While there’s life there’s always ...

hope

for better

forgiveness and love

for those who matter including ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Aww @Former-Member there is no need to delete your account and you certainly haven't 

said or done anything wrong.  I would also recommend you try the lived forum, there are so many threads for you to join in and meet everyone.  It is such a welcoming place as is cares.

Always-hope ❤️🌺🌹

Former-Member
Not applicable

Darling @Former-Member ,

I'm attaching a couple of images from a book by Victorian psychologist, Evelyn Field, "Bully Blocking at Work" (sorry, I'm too lazy to give you a proper reference). I'm only doing so because I sought out her expertise at the time when I first crumbled, due to untenable workplace issues that had already done unspeakable psychological damage to me. There's the blurb I wrote, which was featured on the back, and the full, in-text quote. To be fair, I only managed to read the first chapter but got the general idea for the purposes of promotion. The rest of the comment was exactly how I felt back then, and how I still feel.Blurb.jpg7BCA8ECE-081E-4166-9007-296723647989.jpeg

Like it says, bits of me are missing and I cannot seem to heal, let alone consider becoming "whole" again. I find that the more hope I try to give myself, the harder I get hit when that hope turns to dust.

I can't keep setting myself up for the fall - which is invariably coming, no matter what measures I take to change my behaviours and attitude. I had hoped that Ms. Field may be able to help me (at the time) as she was an apparent expert in the field of workplace bullying. Her help to me was to ask me to partake in a questionnaire (research for the above mentioned book), furnish me with a copy of the book to read and then write a short blurb about. After that, she didn't want to know me (and I had even asked to pay her for her professional help... not asking for a handout).

I indeed find myself humbled by all you lovely souls which is why I feel that I do not belong here. 

I will leave you with a photo of my beautiful dog, Amber, who is also a bit of a carer for me, too. She is the only person (yes, I said person, and I meant it) who can make me get out of bed and move about a bit, at least once a day, when I'm in a wretched, blue funk. Like the song says, "Dogs make the best people!" ❤️BC28CF07-7425-41FB-9522-A5F95B2FC32B.jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

I can see and feel how hurt and broken you have become from your past, your family and the struggles you have with your mental and physical illness.  But I can also see how determined and courageous you are too. To keep fighting for what you believe is right and the respect from others that you deserve.  This is why I said that it is your time now. Forget others and do what makes you happy, indulge in pampering yourself, have a massage and enjoy walking your beautiful dog as much as you can do.

There is now only a tomorrow a new chapter in your life. ❤️🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance