Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Being left to me to deal with my son’s mental health

Thank you for checking in on me WinterSun. Today I had a bit of relief for a couple of hours while my son went out with his friend. Altogether, it has been very hard and sad, especially when my son becomes quite remorseful for his behaviour.  Being the weekend, trying to get the right kind of help has been frustrating. My daughter has been researching on some contacts to call tomorrow when, hopefully, the offices will be open. I am very angry with the lack of proper support, considering the money that the Government says they are putting towards mental health. 

Hi @Cestmoi
That’s good and how lovely you have your daughter trying to help too.
I understand completely about the lack of help and resources. My son had an admission to a public hospital a few years back and though he had private health insurance it was basic for psychiatric. Later I saw his health insurance had been accessed for many $$$$ though his treatment was no different to any other patient in the public unit.
I wrote an email to the executive manager complaining they got a big payment but my son nothing different from the public patients. The end result was I was contacted to discuss his case and a case worker was allocated. We often have to be the advocates and push the limits to help as carers which can be difficult for us. I’ve learnt to be outspoken and pushy.
Your son is very fortunate to have you.
WinterSun

Hi WinterSun

Good on you for standing your ground with the system. I am sure that your son would have appreciated that. I know, first hand, the toll all this takes on a carer.  Yes, my daughter has been fantastic. 
My son's insurance was charged over $900 a day for his private stay; he was having titration of his medication which caused him to easily fall asleep resulting in him falling several times. He was sent to Emergency because of the falls. After his last fall & being checked at Emergency, my son was reluctant to return to the Clinic because of the lack of treatment there but Emergency would not keep him & he was returned to the Clinic. Upon returning to the Clinic, my son was told that the clinic did not have the capacity to treat him also; so now he is with us. We also cannot do this. We feel that my son has been left in limbo, with us left to care for him. Surely if the Clinic is titrating his medication which causes him to sleep standing, they should be responsible for him. Apologies for the long post. I am so upset and angry. 
I wish you a good day

Cestmoi

Hi @Cestmoi 

Your story is so awful. I feel for you.

Does your local public hospital have a pecc unit ?

This is a psychiatric emergency care centre where patients who present to emergency can be referred and observed for a few days to monitor meds etc 

Unfortunately as we know mental health is severely underfunded. When my son was hospitalised it was a juggling act for beds with those still unwell but not critical being discharged. Only those who are a threat to themselves or others are hospitalised. This leaves the great shortfall that causes us unskilled carers to be utilised.

Have you thought of contacting the hospital, his doctor or your local member about the situation.

Hoping you enjoy some more peaceful hours.

WinterSun

I hope you follow up the Psychologist visits as you can get some for your son as well as yourself, i.e. 20 each.  Good luck.  I feel for you.

Hi WinterSun

I thank you for sharing this information.  The mental health system in WA has completely failed in this instance.

My son was taken via ambulance to Emergency last night. I am hopeful that this time he will get the care he needs.

I just feel so helpless and crying so often 😢😭

Hi G2796

yes, I have followed up and thank you for those kind words 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance