Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

SSGG
Casual Contributor

Hello! I'm new and don't know what I'm doing yet

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and haven't really participated in anything like this before so hoping to learn as I go along. Feel free to give me pointers.

A bit about myself ...

I am a complex trauma survivor and an advocate. I've recently started participating in committees and national forums to share my lived experience (as a child abuse and domestic violence survivor) that will hopefully contribute towards policy making and changing. It's been a really interesting journey so far and I want to do more of it!

The other reason is I've just hit a point in my life where no career makes sense anymore. I've tried to do some work, in corporate or public sectors, but have found myself really struggling to get by and getting really triggered (I hate capitalism 😅🤔). So I'm really venturing into the advocacy and peer work space. It feels more genuine.

I wonder if there are other people here that are experiencing similar ways???

It all really started when I got really inquisitive on my own trauma, and where it all kinda stems from ... and I could trace it back very very clearly to this funked up mix of colonisation/racism/patriarchy-toxic masculinity/capitalism. So I guess in my day to day, I find it hard to be seeing it in multiple ways (some days it's in my face, but most days it's like a low hum in the background). Omgosh it's really big topics but it's my struggle.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to participating here in the forums. I'm going to aim to check in once a week and try to contribute in any way I can. Cheers y'all!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Hello! I'm new and don't know what I'm doing yet

Hi and welcome, @SSGG .

I'm sorry you experienced childhood abuse plus domestic violence 😞

You sound very insightful into your condition.

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them.

You can also type any topic into the Search bar above for threads on that topic. 

I hope you find the forums supportive.

Hey @SSGG 

welcome to the forums. 

sorry to read of the things that you have experienced. 

i was really interested to read of your involvement in the committees and national forums with your lived experience. It’s something that I would love to be involved in cause I believe we have a lot of important information that people need to know. 

im also at a place where I have no idea what I would like to do career wise…. Once I am well enough to work. I’m really keen to do some peer work too. 

look forward to hearing more from you @SSGG 

Awesome tip @NatureLover  ! I notice it doesn't work in the quick reply box?

It will take me some time to get use to the forums, so pls bare with me. Thank you!

Hi @Bow ! Nice to hear from you.

Yes I think I'm one of those people that needs to 'do something' about feeling anxious all the time, and it seems like all the advocacy stuff is fitting that criteria haha ... but also, our lived experience is very valuable. I've often seen psychology as like the white tower, and peer work/lived experience as being 'in the pit'. I have very little respect for the former and a lot of respect for the latter! 😅

I hope do you find your career (or not) one day! I doubt I'll ever be able to return to the 'daily grind' (I do not like grind culture, did it for +15yrs and am completely burned out). This is why I am really hoping to find a way through as a creative + advocate. It's the most honest way forward for me.
Hope to see you around these forums!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance