Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

-Dingo-
New Contributor

Hello all, just here to introduce myself

To those who are reading this, hello and i wish you clarity, understanding and positivity no matter which point of your journey you are in.

A little about me and what brought me to saneforums.org

I have almost completed a certificate 3 in community services, next year i am on to study a Diploma in either mental health or community services (still to be decided) a teacher mentioned sane forums and I thought I would check it out as I have lived experience of my own and am happy to openly talk about it and use my experience if it can aid in someone else’s journey.

My experience:

Maybe a slight trigger warning (reference to substances):

Around about six/seven years ago around the age of 24 i started experimenting with various substances which, over a year slowly lead into episodes of derealisation and depersonalisation until it developed into drug induced psychosis of which i experienced 3 episodes, the first 2 being hospitalized as an in patient and the third using my coping mechanisms to get through but ultimately realising the smallest amount of substance could put me back into hospital, it took me about a year to recover (becomming completely medication free) to a point where i felt i could go back into the work force which i did for 2 years and then started my own small business which i have run for three years, but being trade oriented it was just not feeding my soul so now i am beginning my journey into mental health work with the aim to assist others going through similar experiences, i also have experience living with and assisting friends and family with various mental health issues depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder and borderline personality.

So, if this is acceptable for the community, Hello and thank you for reading and having me on board, i am more than happy to answer any questions or elaborate on my story further.

Thank you for your time, and i hope you are having a wonderful day Smiley Very Happy

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hello all, just here to introduce myself

Hi @-Dingo- 

Welcome to the Sane Forums.

I hope you find some support here. There are lots of social threads, but it is great that you started your own thread too.

Just a note, if you use the @ button you will be able to tag members.

I hope you day is going great

Snowie 😊

@-Dingo-  Welcome.

You’ve come a long way in your journey. All the very best as you move into new territory.

Hey mate,

I'm in the same boat here. Trauma, mood disorder, personality disorder, psychosis. All lead to some heavy situations including 2 suicidal events in 2020. Like you, I'm taking a different direction in life from building, purely focussed on mental health and suicide research and prevention. It's a big beast, but I'm finding the right tools that if I can apply to myself, anyone can.  Being a builder and a problem solver actually works hand in hand with mental health I think. It's all problem solving and using tools! Except this time I'm assisting in building up people, not homes. I love it. Talking and listening is most crucial, this is where I find the ideas and thoughts flow. Keeping everything locked up, only leads to that same cycle of thoughts we so easily get trapped in. This forum is such a great idea. It helps me, and I know there are people too shy to type anything, but just reading other people's stuff is certain to help. 

@Surfer37 @-Dingo- 

welcome aboard, the folks here are non-judgemental and very supportive.

I hope you benefit from  someone to talk to as much as I have.

cheers

Hi @-Dingo- 

Welcome to the forum and good luck moving forward. 

Remember to take time out for you too, when helping others. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance