Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Introduction

Hello @Oaktree

Well, I have responded to your party suggestion and am really pleased about the idea. Actually I am very pleased that the thread has been so well received and visited. Fat chance of privacy there.😊

"

Sometimes, I think that I have so little contact with other members on the forum. On the other hand, I am at the computer for quite some time each day. I am aware, that what I write takes quite a bit of time. I also proof-read everything and even go back and edit posts for improved clarity and added information. I'm not much into chit chat, or single line responses. Of that, I am definitely sure that you are aware. If I say something, I want what I say to be meaningful, both for the person with whom I am speaking, as well as any other person who may view the post.

"

I'm really talking with you as a friend, so I am aware that you know what I am saying.

"

I'm pleased that you are doing so well with your walking/fund raising. Your efforts both for yourself and the Black Dog Institute are commendable and the Institute, is indeed, a worthwhile cause. Your comment about feeling like a 100 years old, is something with which I can very much understand and identify. Unfortunately, I have an issue with excess weight, which is contributing to my back issues, and the pain from my back contributes to my lack of exercise. So it is a circular argument. Back-pain-weight, weight-back-pain and so on. Various medications add their bit in also. I really have to do two things this summer, swimming and cycling. As I think that you are aware, I do have difficulty walking, but pool and cycling are no problem. Sorry, sounds like I am whinging. I've just got to get into both of them.

"

I will be encouraging you as much as I can, from here, towards preparation and completion of the 10 km walk on the 27th of the month, a Wednesday, I believe. Make your preparation progressive and I reckon that you will definitely manage the walk.

"

The “work” that I am doing with the counsellor is progressing well. I am actually doing some research and editing of some partially prepared work, which the counsellor has given me “as homework”. See, she's sussed out that if she asks me to do something for her, it will get done. This is my smiley face 😊.

"

When I am responding to people on the forum, I don't want to just say “I know how you feel” etc, etc, etc. If a person presents an issue and I can give some positive input, I am happy to offer my observations. If I cannot offer anything meaningful, I prefer to say very little, or nothing at all. Some people may see this as intellectualising. However, what I offer, only if it is meaningful, I hope is of assistance to the other person, and also to me in terms of my own understanding and awareness.

"

Heck, I feel it alright. I had to pull off the road this afternoon, in order to recover emotional stability. Listening to an ABC program brought up some serious feelings and emotions. The difference is, that it is not much good me talking about that on the forum, if it does not add anything to the conversation. I tell you here, now, because we have discussed issues that have given us the foundation of mutual knowledge and awareness of each others feelings.

"

One of the people with whom I have 'spoken' in the last few days, has posted a lovely detailed response to my observations, which were offered, by me, in equal detail. In that situation, I needed more information than was initially given, in order to offer meaningful suggestions. But, to my way of thinking, if my presence is going to be purposeful, I cannot offer one line responses to complex situations. I am also aware that I need to be very careful, about the content and the way that I offer suggestions and information.

"

It is also the case, that no-one has to read what I offer. They can see my avatar and think: “another one of Henry's books”, and move on to the next post. However, there are a number of people who have actually been angry about observations I have made, or the way that I have written something. In a number of situations they have gone to my profile, expecting their perceptions to be confirmed and the reason for their anger substantiated, and found that I speak specifically to what other members have first posted. Some have actually come back and supported later observations that I have offered.

"

With regard to your psych. app'ts, it is interesting that you were disappointed that your appointment had to be rearranged. Sometimes, I believe, that on the surface, we may not like something, like a psych. app't, but we can still recognise that there is “value” for us in the process. Even a temporary change can cause us to feel disappointed. Maybe part of the reason for feelings of melancholy.

"

There you go!! I've written another book. 😁

Best Wishes from Your Friend

@HenryX

My dear @HenryX 

I love your books so never you mind about writing them. I also like to listen to ABC radio, I guess that comes from living in the country when I was a teenager. You don't get many stations out there. I used to very much enjoy listening to Verity James and always found her programs most interesting. I know what you mean about the weight issue being cyclical. I have extra weight also but am not motivated to get rid of it. I might be happier if I was a bit healthier and fitter. The medications don't help at all. You never mentioned if you got around to fixing your bicycle. It will be great for you to get around on your deadly treadly. I went on a bike for the first time in about 20 years the other day. It was a nerve wracking experience but I managed not to fall off. I am not sure that I am in a hurry to repeat the experience though. What else did you talk about? Oh yeah the psych... I was disappointed that my appointment got canceled which really surprised me and threw me for a bit of a loop. I hope my psychologist is ok as it was because they were sick which I am sure was out of their control. Just hoping that they are well for our next appointment. You sound like me, doing the best you can with your homework. Maybe like me you are a perfectionist. How are you getting on with the work of de cluttering your house? I really should try and get on top of my housework. My house is getting a bit out of control. I am glad things are progressing with your counseling. It is often hard and emotional work but there should be a worthwhile outcome at the end of all the work. I asked my psych how long until we actually fully get started with the imagery rescripting and she said around 4 weeks time. I am a bit freaked out and still very unsure about the whole thing. Trying to be brave but it is a daunting prospect. I just realised how long this note is getting and am starting to worry about getting the dreaded error message so I will leave it here.

Meggle

Hello @Oaktree 

The radio, where I am living in the “outback” is limited to ABC and a couple of other stations. I prefer to listen to the various programs on the ABC when there are items to which I can relate. Normally interviews or documentary type programs. I find it to be a good way of unwinding. But sometimes the topic hits close to touchy psychological nerves.

"

This morning I am up a bit later. Went to bed fairly late last night. My arm became slightly painful on the way home yesterday and has continued to be so through this morning. As with the 1st vax., feeling as though I'd been punched in the arm. So I took a couple of tablets and stayed in bed a while longer.

"

Though I did respond to some messages before going back to lie down again.

I evidently did not send the message the other evening, as I had intended. I know that it is best to go to bed soon after taking the tablets to which I referred. They knock out my balance, both physically and mentally.

"

The bike tyre!! I still haven't got to doing it. I have a couple of other bikes that are not in as good condition. I will probably just swap the whole wheel if one of the other two rear wheels is serviceable. Then I can repair the current one later??? As I mentioned, it really is important to get one operational. I did get on a bike a couple of years ago. I actually did fall over. Nothing serious, a bit of grazing, but even though I have ridden since, I may still be a bit wary.

"

It's possible that the cancelling of that psych. app't was a good thing that may have given you the awareness that you might be better prepared than you thought to progress with the process. Likewise, hope that the illness is not serious and the psych will be back on deck quickly.

"

House decluttering is really a slow process that is also affected by pain and difficulty moving. Dimity, Last-Lament and I are pacing and encouraging each other on “The magic of tidying” thread, so there is a bit more detail on there. The state of my house is the direct opposite of what I would like it to be, and the way that I have been in the past. I really like everything to be clean and orderly. The way it is at the moment is really a statement about the collective issues that I am facing, rather than simply a question of tidiness and cleanliness.

"

Your psych. seems to be moving at a pace that she thinks that you are able to deal with. I am pleased that you generally feel the engagement with her is worthwhile for you. I have described the approach that I use, which is not to worry, in advance, about what is likely or possible to come up in future discussions. It is enough to deal with what actually is being dealt with without overlapping what you deal with in each session with what you think might come up in the next.

"

Your comment about the “dreaded error message” is the reason that I write all but the shortest of messages in a word processor {such as "Microsoft Word" or I use "ApacheOpenOffice writer" which is free and as good as any other, I have found}, and get all the layout, spell checking, colours, word count, and other details the way that I want them. Then I 'copy and paste' into a freshly opened 'Reply' box and do a final proof-read and tidy-up, then post. That way I totally avoid the error message.

"

Hoping that you have a very good day, Meg

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hello @Oaktree 

I've been posting a few comments in which I could have tagged you. I'm certainly not ignoring you, but just conscious that I had said, at your request, that I would not tag you on other threads until you let me know otherwise. However, I'm happy either way. I've enjoyed your recent posts, especially, but not only, on the "hangar" thread. Thank you

and

Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX 

Just go ahead and tag me. I am enjoying getting to know young Henry. Sounds as though you had some adventures.

Meggle

Hi @Oaktree 

Acknowledged re tagging. And pleased that you seem to be much more at ease.

As I guess that you would imagine, I am extremely pleased with the way that the "Hangar" has been received.   { i'm dopey - keep spelling it with an "e" instead of an "a". I really should know better, being pretty strict about spelling and language structure. Smack hand!! } Thank you for commenting and responding to my various post. I have also been aware that you have supported, from the background, many of my comments and posts as well. Thank you also for that. You, and others have contributed a good deal to my confidence, over the past few months, for which I am very appreciative.

I can certainly say that my activity on the forum has been very helpful for me in being able to write about and explore various issues. There has been a little turbulence at times, but for the most part, I have enjoyed the interaction with other members. It also pleases me to know that the rocky, turbulent bits have generally resolved quickly and some have resulted in further development of ideas and awareness, certainly for me as, I hope, has also been the case for others. In fact, while it seems much longer, I have only been active on the forum for about nine months.

While I have always considered my writing to be adequate, I have been reluctant to use my writing as a format for presentation of information and also, as you would be aware, particularly in the realms of entertainment, fiction and fantasy. Even writing letters and emails has not been an area in which I have felt comfortable. Therfore, I am rather pleased, while feeling that I was pressed to do so for various reasons and circumstaces, that I have been able to develop and present my writing and expression in a range of forms, styles and aspects in communication here in the forum.

Recent discussions with the counsellor have also shed light on issues that I had not been consciously aware of. Some of that has been included in my posts on this and other threads. I am beginning to respond positively to some of the material that the counsellor has offered to me that relate to issues in my childhood, teenage years and also later times in my life. Obviously the later times are, necessarily, heavily influenced by early experiences, positive and negative conditioning.

But progress is being made.

Well, @Oaktree for now, I wish you and your family well and 

Thank you for your interaction and correspondence with me

over recent months, during our shared participation in forum activity,

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hello  @Oaktree 

Just wanted to leave you a note to see how you are going. I hope that you and your family are all well. Remember you talking about helping your daughter with uni assignment. How are her studies going?

Things in my area are plodding along. Cold today, with light rain. Need to go to the post office to pick up mail. I've been a bit slack in that regard.

It seems to me that many of the people who often made significant contributions to conversation on the forum have left or taken "leave". There are still many people I've known, and with whom I have enjoyed corresponding from the time of my return in February 21, who are still here. However, the forum interaction seems to me to be less lively than a few months ago. There is still a fair bit of one and two sentence interaction, but not as much discussion, which I miss.

Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @HenryX 

sorry to have left you in the lurch.

I have been mentally unwell lately and haven't even logged in to check notifications for at least a week or so. I hope all is well with you.

Missing our conversations also.

Meggle

Hi @Oaktree 

No problems and no need for apology. Just wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten you and have been thinking of you and your family. All is fine for me, thank you.

Certainly hope that things improve for you and that you are getting the support to help you through.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @HenryX 

I am as mad as a cut snake today! Gave my case manager a couple of calls but she is not calling me back. I guess she will call tomorrow but until then I will be feeling pretty mad. The situation is not her fault but the Doctors'. I went to the pharmacy to pick up medication they organised for me last week only to find that the Doctor is only allowing them to dispense 10 tablets a week. This is a problem because I take 2 of them per day so the math doesn't work out. Also the inconvenience of having to run to the pharmacy once a week which I explained to the Doctor that I didn't want to do 5 days before she organised this script so I felt like she didn't listen to me. Also the ten tablets cost the same amount as a month's supply and I am not made of money. They are going to say they did it for my safety but my husband has been holding these particular tablets for several years so who exactly aren't they trusting here. It makes me feel like a child and like they don't think I am responsible enough to look after my own medication. I have never taken too many tablets so this is out of order. Makes me feel like stopping my medication entirely and stop even going to my clinic appointments.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance