Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Last-Lament
Senior Contributor

New and looking for something helpful.

Hi 

An email brought me here.

Someone let me know about an upcoming trauma event being organised shortly and thought it might be helpful for me with my lived experiences. Because the couple of days before she sent that email were very rough to say the least, I thought I might give it a go and sign up.

3 things: 

I'm trying to learn how to live with my lessening capabilities and all that goes with that side of things. 

Crafting helps me to keep moments of calm and a sense of self. 

As a lover of books, never thought I'd own an ereader, but it's been easier on my arthritic hands than carrying a big print book around, so I was converted a few years ago. 

Looking forward to maybe finding a bright spot here and there to lighten up what is currently a pretty grey and dismal place. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: New and looking for something helpful.

Hey @Last-Lament ,

Welcome to the Forums! 🎉

You heard right, we do have an event on the topic of trauma - we're partnering up with the Blue Knot Foundation for this one, and it'll be run by one of our community managers, @Daisydreamer . Click here for where the event will be held, as it'll show you more details.

Good thinking with switching to an ereader for your arthritis! I experience arthritis myself, and know first-hand how it can prevent you from continuing even the simple pleasures! I think switching to an ereader was an excellent idea to make sure you can still do the things you love! 📖

All the best as you explore the forums - we'll see you around!

Warm regards,

Pipinya 🌿

Hi @Last-Lament . Welcome to the forums! I'm so glad you found us and have decided to join in on this wonderful friendly and supportive community that is the SANE forums. I'm a Community Guide here and one of my roles is to show new people around. I have lived experience of mental health myself so I have found the forums to be a great place to meet people and talk about different things that are going on.You can use the @ key to tag forum members names and the other things that you might be interested in.

I see you've met @pipinya who has assisted you with the Topic Tuesday with the Blue Knot foundation  you are interested in participating in. That's great. I might see you when that happens. You also mentioned that you like craft which I also like. There's a craft area on here calmed Re: Craft Corner.Number 4 attempt  as well as a knitting area called Knitting which I participate in both forum discussion  threads. I like craft myself- knitting, crochet and cross stitch- because they relax me and allow me to have fun being creative yet productive as well.

I look forward to seeing you around here soon.

Judi9877💐😎

Thank you @pipinya and @Judi9877  for your kind words and lovely warm welcome wishes. 

I look forward to seeing what there is around here. It may take me a while to get sorted, but the craft place sounds like a good place to start. 

Last-Lament

Hi @Last-Lament welcome to the forums 🤗

I love reading and craft too. Currently I'm working on a diamond painting and I really need to find a book just life keep getting in the way. If you like animals there's pages for that too Re: Everything Cats Dogs Rock 😆 Frogs Everywhere 

Don't be a stranger 💞🌸🌷

Hi @Judi9877 @pipinya 💐🌻👋

Thank you for your response @Anastasia I will check those places out. Animals have a way of being so helpful.

How lovely of you all to respond with such kindness.

I really appreciate your profile pic of a sculpture of someone in lament.  @Last-Lament  It has been really difficult for me to connect to the average Aussie as few appreciate that kind of art, bivg generalisation I know, but I have lived here 60 years.

@Zoe7 began a thread called

through my eyes ???

Trying to find it 

@Last-Lament @Appleblossom 💞

Thank you for your kind words aabout my profile pic @Appleblossom, it is truly a depiction of how I all too often feel, unfortunately. I certainly do appreciate the openness and accuracy, of truly deep emotions in art, especially sculpture, but I'm not very learned about it. There's a magnificent emotive sculpture called The Lion of Lucerne, the image and story behind which you may already be familiar with. 

While I appreciate images that depict the happiness we're supposed to feel, I get impatient with them because it's not my truth these days.  The toil and 'brokenness' perhaps, of images like these really show me there are others who are continueing, yet also feel similarly to me. I can only hope that makes sense and does not offend anyone. 

I have found the Through Ones Eyes thread and will spend some time going through it. Thank you for your kindness in making the link, Appleblossom 

@Anastasia  When I'm looking for a book to read I have my go-to authors, until I run out of their titles Smiley Frustrated I'm currently reading the works of Kate Ellis, detective-y, light, easy reading of the style that is easy to pick up and to put down and come back to. I have all sorts of deep and meaningful titles too, but sometimes I just need a lighthearted distraction. I hope you find something to suit you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance