Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Survivors guilt?

I hear you @ArraDreaming and I agree with Apple, your time is important and particularly when you have a young family it's hard to find the time. It's not fair and I can feel your frustration. Something I've learnt along the way.. It's not up to us to save other people, they have to want to save themselves. Easier said than done when it's family and someone you care about.

I’m done with it I’m so over it

Done with your brother, is that what you mean? I think that's understandable @ArraDreaming and putting some healthy boundaries up to protect yourself and your family might be all you can do. 

Everything I have done for him over the years clearly means nothing I can empathise which what he’s going through but I also don’t deserve to be stomped all over and taken advantage of, now he’s asking me for money

Not worth it

I was working so I couldn’t reply until my break but that wasn’t quick enough

Hi @ArraDreaming ,

At this time, I think the importance is focusing on yourself and your own family. You've only just started to recover from the effects of COVID.

Although we are not here to tell you what to do, or what not to do, I'm wondering what other supports your brother will turn to. 

Do you know if he has been supported or referred to other places for support?

Sitting with you. I hear this is a difficult time.

If any time, please refer to 1800RESPECT or 000 if you or your family feel unsafe.

tyme

He doesn’t know where I live or even what suburb and that’s deliberate. I don’t feel physically unsafe more just fed up 

he’s been referred to and supported by more services I can count on both hands he either never goes or stops going it’s just stupid now @tyme @how much more support can he get also he’s an adult so if he doesn’t want to go he won’t nobody can make him 

I hear you @ArraDreaming . 

Is it possible to make yourself uncontactable for a while until things iron out? 

It sounds like contact with your brother is unhealthy for you for the time being.

I've also sent you a check-in email.

Take care,

tyme 

@tyme he’s just like my dad it does my head I just don’t want him to end up like him yeah I’m just not going to respond any more I thought I was doing a good thing but obviously not
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance