Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: planning suggestions

I love puréed foods @Smc. Do a great soup with everything in it and blend it up for meal portions into freezer bags & frozen. Must get back into that. Use the crockpot.

Thanks @Former-Member ❤
I wont be driving for at least the first few days so i think ill be ok in that department at least.
The hospital is in a crap spot too so when im released i have to walk around in the middle of like a city centre packed full of people as its in a main city. That sounds rather intimidating in itself let alone being put under etc. 😯😑

@outlander, expect to be pretty tired and sore for up to a week afterwards. Even talking will hurt. They'll give you instructions on after care and any warning signs to look out for.

Anaesthetic is different from person to person. Going under is pretty gentle. One moment you're awake and nervously waiting, next moment (or so it seems) a nurse is telling you "Wake up, it's over". You may come out of it fairly clear headed, or you might be a bit confused. I woke up from one really really needing to go to the toilet, but had to wait until the nurse trusted me to be able to stand upright.

Mine were one at a time extractions, but I have overseen both my Hubby and Older Daughter recovering after multiple extractions. I don't think the healing is really any more complicated, and possibly it's better getting it over in one go.

Thank you @Smc

Ive only ever had local anaesthetic for minor things like sutures or small type things not something like this. Never had a tooth extraction either so its alot to take in thats for sure.
I have been told to expect to look like a 'chipmunk' for a few days and its strictly things like soups and jellies and ice creams during that time.
They gave me details like a mouth full of stutures and they will need to scrape away jaw bone to get to them and the complications and what they would do if they arose. I know they have to tell me those things but I kinda wish they didn't....
At least ill be asleep! I asked for them to do it all in one go cause as awful as it all sounds including the recovery time at least ill only have to go through it once.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I dont have anyone overseeing me as such I will  have pop in the house but hes got not clue and forgets everything anyway so ill have to take extra care. 

@outlander, yeah, they do have to tell you the worst case scenarios. But I think you're probably going to the same hospital our family has been to for extractions of assorted levels of complication, and they are very good at it. Part of the reason it's on a major road is so that there's decent public transport access, and even thiough it's pretty close to the middle of the city, it's not a "yucky" part of it. There's parks and gardens nearby.

Let them know that you won't have anyone who could be considered an "adult carer" with you when you go home. They may be able to send a district nurse out once a day to keep an eye on you? They will want to be absolutely sure, with that much work happening in your mouth, that you don't get any infections. I got an infection after one of my wisdom teeth came out, and the early signs of redness and swelling are easy to miss when you expect swelling anyway. A nurse would know what to look out for, and the sooner you catch an infecton, the easier it is to cure.

Morning @Smc
Thanks heaps

It sounds like the same place that ill be at (so far). There arw parks etc and a main train station. they said i could be sent to another hospital to have it done depending on where there anaethetist is or will be on the date.
Ill be staying in a nearby hotel hopefully. I need to get a date before booking so ill have mum and the tribe with me for that night and until the afternoon but after that mums got work and stuff. .
Telling them though and seeing if they can organise a nurse to visit sounds good to me as not only will it be good for me but also for pop too as i know they will keep an eye on him too.

Redness and swelling a sign of infection- yes your right. I probably wouldnt know much difference as im expecting swelling and redness anyway. I really dont want an infection which is something im worrried about as my dentist is really hard to get into even fo emergencies.
Thank you for that suggestion, ill write it down along with my other questions so i dont forget.

@Smc @Former-Member do you think there are any specific questions i should ask?

They'll probably be pretty thorough with the medical side of information. On the financial side, if you have a health care or pension card, you're eligible for a transport rebate for your trips there and back. They don't always remember to tell people that.

When i met with them about 2 weeks ago now they were pretty good. They pretty much answered everything before i asked. There was only one who said the other would be able to answer that one better so leave it for them.

Yes! I hadnt realised how expensive tickets can be. I took pop with me last time so i wouldn't be on my own and will take him again when i go back up for the next appt but it cost 40-something for us both there and back so ill look into that as well.

Thanks heaps @Smc 💞

Info here. It also includes a contriution towards accomodation.

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/hospitals-and-health-services/rural-health/vptas-how-to-apply

Thank you @Smc im actually in nsw but i might be able to see if that site will take me to the nsw one too.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance