Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

hippyjingle67
Contributor

some tips

hey there all, ive been living with my partner of nearly 10 years, who has major depression. a councellor once mentioned to me that its a good idea not lose sight of the things that i enjoy doing ie crafts walking on the beach, listening to music , catching up with friends etc ect. it can be hard at times, we want to help them come out of it, but the chances of that are pretty slim, so we have to care from a distance, and not get caught up in there depression, because thats when we start getting depressed ourslves. even if this only helps one person, i will be happy with that. have a great day namaste xx

12 REPLIES 12

Re: some tips

Namaste @hippyjingle67,

Self-care is soooo important.

Similar to what you describe as 'caring from a distance', I often think about caring for others as helping someone find their way through a forest. We can carry them and their weight out of the forest, and tire ourselves out,  or we can stand beside them and point out obstacles and hurdles. This way they can find their own journey with our support, but we can also maintain our own energy. I think this can give us some distance so we can also focus on our selves too.

Can I ask  how you find do you find time to do things you enjoy?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @hippyjingle67,

Thanks for this reminder.

The best advice I ever had is that when you do go off to do your own enjoyable things don't feel guilty. Noone can be in any way made worse off by your enjoying yourself.

peace,

Carer101.

hey cherrybomb, my partner sleeps a fair bit so i have spare time all the time, when ime not doing stuff with him, or when i need to have a break, i just might jump in the car and go for a drive, i also have quite a craft obsession which i havnt done for awhile so thinking about getting all that out again. i have a gf at work who i have lunch with, most of my support is down in melbourne because thats where i am from, ive been living up here for the past nearly 10 years, and originally moved up here to be with my partner

thank you carer101 you are absolutely right there, its also about not getting stuck in a rut because your partner is depressed

i am at a bit of a loss there as I don`t drive, so i go for a walk, and get involved in things around the house like gardening ,cleaning ,computer, internet

thanks so much for your input shaz51 i really appreciate it. my thing is getting away from the house because other wise we get house bound. its a shame you dont drive, darl. do you have a bus/train route close to your house. i like to do that too just get on and get off at the end then turn aroun n come back public transport can be great when its on time xx hope your feeling ok pls feel free to chat to me again when/if you need to thanks darln have a great night xx

we live an hour away from the city , we live in a small country town, I love walking down to our little town  and meeting everyone and having a chat , everyone knows everyone little town , then i go and visit my mum a few times a week which is great , thank you xx

@Shaz51 ... Hi Shaz, sounds like you live in a beautiful town. Shaz, do you like birds? If so, would you mind if I ask for a list of all the birds you know in your area?
I'm helping my son and his friend to write a book on local birds in our town (Mid NSW Coast).
We are just starting to learn about birds and any trying to learn as much as possible for the community book. Thanks Shaz 🙂

@Shaz51 ... Hi Shaz, sounds like you live in a beautiful town. Shaz, do you like birds? If so, would you mind if I ask for a list of all the birds you know in your area?
I'm helping my son and his friend to write a book on local birds in our town (Mid NSW Coast).
We are just starting to learn about birds and any trying to learn as much as possible for the community book. Thanks Shaz 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance