Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Janna
Community Elder

The Latest ...😩

Hi All,

My apologies up front for not being very active in any description for quite a while now.  The reason is that I have been completely bogged down in my son's mental health issues.  Let me explain a little.

For those that don't know he is 17 and has Major Depressive Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder and has been in a fantastic residential care program for adolescents for the past 8 months.  Everything was going really well. He got his mojo back (somewhat) and began functioning like a semi-normal normal human being ... until integration began.  Since that moment until now he has been on a downward spiral which is now spinning out of control.  

Many things have happened over the past 8 weeks.  Going AWOL from the facility x 2; increased aggression; increased suicidality; a significant drop in mood and functioning, etc, etc, etc.  Need I say more?

I've been trying to hold up the fort.  To be supportive, understanding, tolerant, etc.  Myself, combined with the flotilla of professionals that have been invested in his mental health, are now up against a brick wall.  No-one appears to be able to connect with him; no-one has found that illusive inroad; no-one knows what to do next.

As I type this my son is in a psychiatric emergency care unit (PECC) because of his suicidality.  Yesterday after therapy he told me convincingly that he wanted to end his life.  That he was "over suffering".  He accused me of being selfish for wanting him to stay alive and that my own needs overruled my sensibility in letting him go.  He vocalised means, and placed me in a position where I had to take what he was saying seriously and as a result the Acute Care Team became involved.  He voluntarilty went to hospital, as opposed to being taken by ambulance.  He was admitted and remains there as we speak until they can formulate yet another plan that may help him ride this storm and place him on firmer ground with more hope. 

It's all looking very dismal at the moment.  He hates where he is.  He wanted out this afternoon but was given sedation to control his agitation and make things more tolerable.  I remain strong and present, but my hope is dwindling rapidly.  i fear for this boy like nothing else.  I feel he is incompatible with life.  It just isn't working for him.  I feel powerless. hopeless, exhausted and numb.  I desperately want "normality" but it continues to ellude me.  I feel like a spectator watching a train wreck about to happen, if not already happening.  This is a horrible place to be.  Mental health issues suck.  They are the psychic equivalent of cancer; a slow, insidious death of the a person's spirit while they remain physically strong.  It's so cruel and has such enormous and unseen collateral damage to all those around.

I live for the day when he can climb out of this darkness and feel the sunshine again .... but maybe that day will never come.

Feeling despondent

Janna 🙃

6 REPLIES 6

Re: The Latest ...😩

Janna

Heart

Sorry to hear he is suffering so much. It is no easy feat to watch as a mum.  Glad you let us know.  Its too easy for things to go under the radar.  Maybe it is a lesson for the facility not to push integration on their timetable, but on the resident's timetable.  Someone said recently to me, that my son is a loner.  I am learning to accept that and backing off in our case.  But wondering what were the things that were working for him during the 8 months. If there are any clues there to reach him or give him a viable path. 

@Janna

Hi @Janna, it's great to see you back here even if it's not with great news.  You're such an amazing writer that you have a way of bringing us all into your experience.  We must get you to write a blog for SANE at some point.   But not right now.  You've got more important things to focus on.

I can only send you my warmest best wishes for this tough time.  I hope that your son finds his way through his emotional pain and that your strength continues to carry you through.  We'll be here when you have time to drop back in.

Many thanks for your kind words and thoughts@suzanne@Faith-and-Hope and @Appleblossom

Things are on the improve again.  My son was discharged into my care this afternoon. What a difference 48 hours makes!!  He appears so much better ..... like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders and was at the other end of the mood spectrum when I picked him up.  He has been armed with as much support as a person can have and has a string of meetings, consults and therapy appointments with his psychologist, psychiatrist and the acute care team over the next few weeks.  He is scheduled to be formally discharged from the facility he has been in for the past 8 months on Monday and it is more than likely this major event that has dropped his mood and escalated his anxiety.  This is a very challenging time for him as he has to find his feet again in the "real world" and adapt to new routines, people and demands.   The acute care team will be on board to help manage him (and me :face_with_rolling_eyes:) for the next couple of weeks.  Hoping this final stage of transitioning is the peak of the mountain and that things improve from hereon in.  Fingers crossed.

Janna xx

That's wonderful @Janna.  So much to be hopeful about.

So glad to hear it @Janna .....

Hoping the road is mostly winding upwards from here ....

🌷💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance