Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // **now open** // Finding the joy in Christmas

Hi                      (financially and emotionally) -- I find if I pay the bills early , buy things for christmas through the year  is much better as my Husband hates shopping and it takes the stress away if I have things planned

@Shaz51  bed and rest sounds lovely. Smiley Happy

@Shaz51 planning ahead sound very helpful. I think many people don't like the pre-Christmas shopping rush.

@BeHappy and @Shaz51 touched on a point about sleeping and rest. One thing Christmas can do is throw routines all over the place in terms of diet, sleep and exercise. 

Where posible, try to maintain basic routines. By 'basic', I mean basic needs. Keeping up a regular exercise, sleep, and diet routine can not only reduce stress and help your mood. Exercise can also help counter act any overindulgence over the festive season. 

Feeling tired can  also contribute to stress and anxiety, so it’s important to get plenty of sleep and take some time out for yourself, to give your mind some rest.

Hi                      I see what you mean, -- I can go by myself and my husband is happy if I want to but I can`t Drive and I have health problems so I am happy to be home talking to my stepchildren over the phone since they live far away ,

Thanks for the tips about Christmas shopping @Shaz51. I'm feeling a bit stressed out about it. I think I've left it to the last minute (again). And like you, my partner is not one to come shopping with me (not willingly anyway!)

I had a squiz around the internet, and found some good tips that I would share with all:

Stress reduction strategies for successful Christmas shopping include:

• Make a list of all the gifts you wish to buy before you go shopping. If you wait for inspiration to strike, you could be wandering aimlessly around the shopping centre for hours.
  • Buy a few extras, such as chocolates, just in case you forget somebody or you have unexpected guests bearing gifts.
  • Buy your gifts by mail catalogue or over the Internet. Some companies will also gift-wrap and post your presents for a small additional fee.

Hi                      Yes I agree and I find also which helps is to space things like outings and visiting , not to have too many as it stresses everyone out

We've spoken a bit about how to prepare and minimse stress. Does anyone have a safety plan if you're loved become unwell over the break? 

Hi Snoo                     All these little things count , thankyou for the extra tips , makes life easier and less stressful -- I also find if I am relaxed and calm , my husband is happy too ,

Do you mean a safety plan for a crisis @CherryBomb?

I can't say that I have one for Christmas in particular. But with my partner, I have a general one, if I/we/he have concerns about his safety, then we would contact emergency services, if he feels at immediate risk. Otherwise if there's not immediate concerns then its arranging an appointment with the doc. 

Is that what you mean?

@Shaz51 I can see how these little things can help. I did get some pressies delivered from online a few weeks, but I've left a few others late.

I also find being calm helps, and in reverse, anxiety can create anxiety. 

Calmness and breathing helps, thanks for reminding me @Shaz51Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance