Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: If I don't get help, a tragedy is going to happen

@Former-Member, thanks for the links. I will try them. From experience I know that psyche triage and CATT will not do a call out for OCD. Neither are hospital beds or compulsory medical treatment available for OCD, In our case, the untreated OCD is wreaking havoc on two family members with schizophrenia. We really do represent a gap in the system.

@perseverer ... very difficult to know what to do. Wellways might be able to assist with support through NDIS for S1 if you do not have already. You might be able to get cheap domestic help through HACC too - is hubby on DSP?

Re: S2 - is the rearranging disorganized or orderly? If disorganized, by stressing this, along with no motivation for work, nocturnal habits, disruption and perceived danger to others, no insight, through constant nagging, you might be able to press the point for CATT,

There should be a duty officer to fill in for S1 if he needs extra support, does husband have a case worker?

@Former-Member, no, my husband is not eligible for DSP because of my teacher's salary. One of the big questions I have been battling with is whether or not to leave the paid workforce. On the one hand, my mentally ill husband is not well enough to care for his three mentally ill sons. On the other hand, financial stress will make them all ill (and we have already had a taste of what it is like the year I took leave without pay for two major operations). None of the organizations can give me what I really need, which is a live in carer, or the financial freedom to be able to leave the paid workforce.

@perseverer

I do not know enough about these things, you are probably more au fait with carer pension and NDIS criteria. Wellways and other MI support groups have staff who can help.

I do hope you can get some help.

Darcy

Dear Australian Department of Health,

Can we please help this poor woman, surely there is some spare funding to provide this carer the help she so desparately needs for herself and her familiy?

There are many more CARERS just like her. 

CARERS are not professionals, they are special people with big hearts suffering in isolation and silence trying to do the right thing for their families. It is mostly unpaid and not rewarded, not acknowledged. Please. Can we help her. 

Thank you,

Grasshopper3

Good morning Perseverer,

you sound like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, Im thinking from what you have stated you are the carer for 3 males who are experiencing Mental Illness?

Im thinking a support person for you, depending on where you are residing,  Mental Illness Fellowship NTmay be able to assist you in getting you regular aid. if you are out side of the territory have you accessed NDIS?

In the intrem practice thinking about the good experiences you have had in your life and breath slowly and deeply to reduce any increase adrenalin.

Please stay safe and know that Mental Illness fellowship NT is here to help.

Thank you so much, @Grasshopper3. If only!

Thank you, @MIFANTCARER. I do feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, that is for sure. I live in Victoria and our services just do not stretch far enough to help families with multiple disabilities. My eldest son who has diagnosed schizophrenia has a network of support and can always access help when needed. Ultimately that means visits to the psyche ward but of course it doensn't end there. Psyche wards in the public system still adhere to the age old prejudice that severe psychiatric illness is caused by bad parenting. So when the doctors feel the patient is stable enough, they want them to go into an assisted living place so they can learn new ways of thinking, living and relating. It angers me that with everything that is known about schizophrenia as a brain pathology, that this system is still prescribed. It is massively insulting to carers. I said to my son, "At home, you can relax with a glass of wine before going to bed. In the assisted living place, they do not permit alcohol but will give you a sedative instead." At home, we at least understand all the little tricks of the trade to helping our sick children cope on a day to day basis. 

At present I am home on school holidays so things are at an even keel again. But my office has had all its drawers pulled out and all my work thinks tipped out in a pile on the floor. My furniture is completely disarranged and sometimes I have to move pieces of furniture just to get access to my computer. Yesterday when I tried to cook tea I went into the kitchen only to find the garbage bag from the rubbish bin there, tipped over, with its contents spilled out across the floor. I went to the drawer to get an implement to cut vegetables with only to find it covered in grease. My youngest son is in the process of changing schools and I needed to get his birth certificate to bring with his enrolment form. I had all the family's documents neatly filed and stored in a filing cabinet. But when I went to access the cabinet I found it gone. The files had been pulled out and were scattered across the garage floor. The filing cabinet had been thrown out. I just sat in the front room and cried. I had well and truly had enough. Amazingly, the birth certificate was found and my son was enrolled in his new school. But there is not a single thing I try to do in the course of one day that is not sabotaged and frought with the most enormous difficulty and level of frustration. 

Oh @perseverer ... it is so very difficult for you.

@perseverer
This is mental abuse and you need help so you can keep living up to your name: Perseverer......
I hope you get some relief by contacting this forum.
Please do something nice for yourself at least once a day, deep breath in, long breath out, feel the sun on your skin, hug a tree, whatever, please look after yourself too, ok?
Grasshopper3
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance