Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Revs
Contributor

Schizoaffective mum wants new life

Hi there,
Does anyone have experience with family members wanting a new life? My mum has recently decided that she doesn't like this life anymore, feels trapped, wants to be free from us and would like her own place. She wants to divorce my dad and mentions getting a new boyfriend. I think she might also be talking to men on the internet behind his back. It's so hard to know if this is really how she feels or if it's just her illness talking. It's very hurtful when she says things like this! Really taking a toll on me as I constantly check if she active on Facebook and wondering what she might be up to.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Schizoaffective mum wants new life

Hello @Revs

Welcome to the forums, I have not yet met you before 🙂

I can see why you are concerned about your mum, have these changes in her interests been recent and has this happened before? That can help to see whether they are mental health related. It does seem like she is maybe pushing her supports away which can be quite concerning, is she going through some extra stress or anything at the moment, as that can also be a trigger?

Thinking of you and keep reaching out for support okay.

Lunar

Thanks for your reply @Lunar things have been difficult the last week. Mum has just up and left to QLD but is in safe hands with a friend who is keeping me updated. Maybe she just needed to get away. She never had these feelings until the last year or so. She seems to be having a mid life crisis and it is exacerbated by her mental illness. It's very upsetting but I am also enjoying a little bit of respite while I know she is being looked after.

Hi @Revs

I'm so sorry that the last week has been difficult for you. It seemed both confusing and hurtful to you, that your mum was saying that she wanted a new life, and to leave your dad. I'm guessing, her leaving to QL would have only added to these feelings. Thankfully, at least, she is in safe and trusted hands.

It can be so difficult to hear such feelings as loved ones. In this vein, have you previously reached out for your own supports? If you feel it may help, please feel more than free to call us here at the SANE   (1800 18 7263), or chat to us online, for further support. You may also wish to browse through the Carers Victoria website to see what supports may be available to you.

I have listed contact information for Carers Victoria, below (note *** there is also links to support in other states in Australia):

Carers Victoria:

Phone: 1800 242 636

Until then, please feel free to continue seeking support on the forums! 🙂

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Hello @Revs , senind you lots of hugs and understanding my friend xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance