Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Ditching the Ciggers

I'll make a cuppa (hello another addiction I'd like to not have 😉) @Zoe7 and have a read in a moment 🙂 Grabbing kids something to eat but be back soon.

Ps if you'd like a quit buddy maybe it is something we could try and do together (no pressure at all though)

I also don't drink coffee @CheerBear @TAB but am partial to a red bull or two a day - another addiction for me but I also drink plenty of water so that evens itself out a bit.

CB we could look at quitting together but I also know now isn't the right time for me - one thing at a time for now but I will certainly take you up on that offer when I am more ready (have to work more on myself and being more stable first I think).

coffee's another one of mine @Zoe7@CheerBear@eth re addictions, anyway think will have one now. Might go off here for a while, brain needs to slow down a bit Cat Indifferent

well see what they say maybe, re gp but dont put anything else at risk @Zoe7 re recovery

I have discussed it with my GP before but both felt it was not a great idea at the time as it was something that I could turn to to self-soothe in a way @TAB - not ideal but it work in decreasing my anxiety.

I am going to head off for a while as well and get to the chemist - may even head to Bunnings to use a couple of my giftcards - catch you all a bit later Smiley Happy

@TAB @Zoe7 @CheerBear  I too rarely mention it to anyone and smoke reasonably discreetly at home.  Over in the vegie garden behind the house next door.  Like a school kid.  Bro and sil know I smoke but hate it - the smoke itself and the fact that I'm still doing it.  I just figure there's no point saying I'm gunna do it unless I am doing it (giving up).  I've cut my intake almost in half the last few days so that's a step in the right direction at least.

I've discussed it with psychologist and psychiatrist and both say not to try and tackle it when I have other stressors active in my life - but it's starting to feel like I'd be waiting forever for a time when there's no stress and I can't justify that.

I find the idea of waiting until there is less stress (which is something psych and GP have both said to me too) kind of laughable sometimes @eth, as someone who seems to stress all the time about pretty much everything, plus life seems to throw big stress things at me often. I feel I'd be waiting forever too.

Well done to you on cutting down so much. That's a big step 🙂

I so much understand those stressors and my GP thinks the same as your psych and pdoc @eth but the time will hopefully come soon when I canfeel more at ease within myself and giving up won't be as stressful.

I really need to head off now but will check into this thread later again.

I used to sneak cigs in parents backyard even 2 years ago @eth , pretending I didnt do it cos didnt want to hear about it. I also avoided physical contact when meeting relatives and mum used to say oh you're still smoking then

anyway that's well done and yes lots of shame/guilt/cant justify it, but I live on my own so no checks and balances here

@TAB @Zoe7 @CheerBear  In some ways it's good to be 'accountable' to others - they'd just call it supporting me - but sometimes it feels like I'm being scrutinized and judged.  But I know bro and sil have my best interests at heart and totally hear them when they say they'd not be up for supporting me if I develop emphasema or worse because of the smoking.  It's a hard one.  I didn't get even a cold or flu in 2018 but late 2017 I was very sick with flu, needed an emergency Dr after hours and it was definitely worsened because I couldn't stop smoking.  Don't want to go there again.

Heading off for a while now.  Thanks for starting this discussion @TAB.  Stay strong!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance