Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Elenor
Casual Contributor

Grief is a Funny thing. The Art of Grieving Ourselves.

Grief is a funny thing. It's something everyone will go through at some part of their lives, a loved one passing on, a break up, a loss of job. Those things are very accepted reasons to grieve, and that fact is when a loved on passes on in some cultures grieving is the most important part some cultures spend a whole year in mourning of the loved one, to grieve is to love. 

What one doesn't expect is to grieve for yourself while your still alive, sudden disability thrusts you into certain stages and the stage that isn't talked about enough is grief and it's importance; we aren't really supposed to grieve for ourselves whilst still alive. It's a very bizarre thing. 

Grieving walking with ease, grieving your abilities, I'm certain older folk would grieve their former younger selves, yet when we are in our prime and grieving the what could of been? What we could have achieved? 

We wish to become our former selves and turn back the clock, slipping and sliding into the causes the thing that made it happen, we hold on to our former selves with such heard ache and heaviness. I was x y z. And now they are gone, stripped away. Who am I now? Im nothing without x y z, I'm just a shell of the former self. 

It's natural to be scared to grieve, or even feel it's silly "I'm still alive i should count my blessings" we can feel it's almost selfish to do it. 

In order to move on we need to allow Grief to flow through us, to cry tears, to be angry, to sit in it's darkness. To look back on your life. 

Why is grief important? Because we start to reflect on ourselves and we learn a lot through this period. 

At the start if you had told me do you want to go back to your former self I would of quickly said YES. However after the grieving process that i allowed to flow my reply would now be a hard NO. 

You may be thinking why? Why would want to be more disabled, finding it hard to complete simple daily tasks. I would tell you because of the lessons learnt. 

In complete honesty I didn't like who I was before sudden onset. I was always doing, doing, doing; not taking care of myself, always others. I would do things that I didn't want to do to please others. I was a people pleaser, I was always moving even though my body was screaming at me. I was fawning to people whom didn't deserve my presence. I was quick to anger and ruminated on feelings of injustice yet I didn't actually voice it due to fear of arguments and fall outs. I also moved all day because I was so uncomfortable with sitting with my past and thoughts. 

Through this Grief process I was able to look at the lessons within this new information. I can say NO now, I'm not doing that, or I'm not going to involve myself in arguments. I'm stronger with following my moral compass, I take the time every day to work on myself and the art of resting. I can sit with my ruminating thoughts and work on those unhealthy habits. I love myself more. And most importantly i have boundaries now, I know my worth. 

Grief still pops up every now and then, and I sit with it eager to learn what its telling me. 

So for anyone reading this, please don't fear grief, you do not have to be physically disabled to feel self grief, your allowed too if your anxious, depressed have a new diagnosis of anything. It's a natural response with a load of little goodies just waiting to be shown to you. Don't ever let the "other people have it worse" no you are valid, your feelings are valid and your healing journey is most important. So sit with your grief for a minute. 

Close your eyes and breathe slowly, welcome grief in with warmness and compassion, talk to it, ask what it wants to tell you, talk with it and dance the dance of grief in all its power. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Grief is a Funny thing. The Art of Grieving Ourselves.

So well said @Elenor 

And contrary to a common belief, talking about grief actually supports recovery and the chance to move on.

@Elenor  Thank you for this post 🙏❤️🌹

Yes @Elenor 

I see.

I think in order to save ourselves, we

let some people go.

One day they fade to a distant memory, as we change.

I do know grief is never easy to

sit through, but once you accept this is necessary. It will unravel as necessary. Until we get to where we need to be. ❤️

@Krishna 

How are you doing?

Hi @Leeanne1  Thanks for asking 🙏 Not doing too bad of late thank you. Taking one day at a time. I have my sad days and allow them to be when they arise but of late more settled than sad. Maybe I’m just getting used to the way things are or maybe getting better at not getting attached to the sadness when it appears in my thoughts. I hope you’re taking good care of yourself and finding a little joy each day. 🙏❤️🌹

@Krishna 

I am sick I have a cold but keeping busy with crocheting hats for donating and making 2 cardigans for people at my mum's home .

Hi @Leeanne1  Sorry you’re not feeling well and hope your cold clears up soon. No fun being unwell. Good therapy making things to donate, it’s important to help others dont you think? I just do basic crotchet but love making blankets to gift people. Never could manage the art of knitting so good for you. Very meditative. Get well soon 🙏🌹

@Krishna 

I agree it is good to be able to help others , I pick crocheting over knitting . Crocheting take alot of wool but it works up faster 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance