Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

HopefullyPink
Casual Contributor

A Depressed Single Mum With Teenage Boys

Hi everyone. I am a 44 year old single mother of 3 teenage boys. I have anxiety and depression. I have been on Eleva for past three years. I have been to the Dr twice asking if I should increase my dose (have been on the same dose since starting 100mg) but they are not keen to increase it. I have never seen the same Dr twice. I can't understand how a GP can meet and know me for all of 10 mins and say "your not depressed" (??) Anyway, just tired of riding the roller coaster of moods, up, down, up, down, up, down. 

Trying to juggle three active boys, when all I feel like doing is curling up in a corner, is exhausting. I just want to be a happy mother for them, and can fake it most of the time, but not always. And so then the guilt sets in. It's frustrating, always feeling like your swimming against the current.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: A Depressed Single Mum With Teenage Boys

Hi,your post has resonated with me. I am slightly younger with two teenage boys and go through seasonal depressive episodes along with insomnia and lack of energy.

I used to be embarrassed to acknowledge my struggles and have the sense of loneliness but I know there are others like you who are doing it tough. If I can connect with you to say hang in there.  you must be doing a wonderful job for your sons who need you.  This does not always feel this way - I know.

importantly take time out for yourself. Connect with you and acknowledge the great effort you make every day. Self love.

some natural vitamins I take to help me. No effect with tablets is magnesium and Vitamin b. Also apple cider vinegar and Cummin in warm water with honey first thing in morning. 

Hope this connection helps. 

Sorry cinnamon not Cummin!

@HopefullyPink. I'm also a single parent and have depression and anxiety.
My gp referred me to a psychologist - but only after my mum came with me & explained how sick I am. Since then I see the same gp and she now knows more about mental illness and is an advocate for me.
Please see your gp again. Try and see the same gp. Ask for a mental health care plan. This is a question sheet you tick. It will then give a score on your mental health. Once you have that. Ask for a referral to a psychologist under the free medicare scheme.
Depression and anxiety need the help of professionals. The psychologist can then teach you coping techniques and new communication skills to help with your sons.
I have benefited greatly from this. My son and I communicate a lot better & I've learnt not to worry about the small stuff and how to cope with the bigger stuff.
My depression is now reducing and we are slowly reducing my meds. Initially though they needed to be increased - as directed to my gp from a psychiatrist.
My psychologist is in constant contact with my gp & between us, my mental health has improved dramatically.
Don't give up getting the help you need.

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words of encouragement! It helps to know I am not the only one in this situation and that you have found the strength to get through. 

I am also a fan of natural remedies and take both a multi Vit B and magnesium, though have been a bit lax in taking them, so I better get back to it! And yes, self love, we mums tend to forget that sometimes.

Thanks for reaching out! Smiley Very Happy

Thank you very much for your advice utopia! Yes, I will go back to the GP and this time be a little more assertive about what I need. I definately need some professional help, for my depression and my parenting. Your words have given me hope, that I can get the support and help that I need. Smiley Very Happy

Hi @HopefullyPink@utopia@PeaksandValleys

I am a single mum of 4 boys aged 16-21. I have personality disorders anxiety and depression. It's a rough road on your own being a single mum of  one or more teenage boys but harder fighting depression and anxiety as well. I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom to offer but just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forums. 

PS @HopefullyPink I would definately fight for the right professional support, it does make a huge difference. I think as @utopia stated you just need to ask for a mental health care plan. I'm pretty sure a GP can't deny you asking for one and being assessed. If they do I'd be seeing a different GP. Good luck 💜😊

Good Luck @HopefullyPink Yes, Everyone is entitled to a mental health plan if they feel the need.

However I also struggle with getting my needs heard ... so assertion is important. I think sometimes the docs think if they reassure someone thats enough .. sometimes it is and sometimes its not.

Thanks @Former-Member for your words of support and encouragement, it really means alot, and I can feel myself getting stronger just from the support I've received here on the forums. Wow! four teenage boys, how do you do it??Smiley Surprised BTW I love your picture. Smiley Very Happy

I agree!! And thank you 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance