Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Flower88
Senior Contributor

A hard decision to make and no friends

So I went down to Melbourne in February and came back up to Brisbane in March, a lot of me missed Brisbane and now I'm thinking why did I move back up here. I've developed generalised anxiety disorder and find it difficult to do much with it. I am only down to one friend up here, I feel like I can't go out much due to my anxiety attacks and friends just sort of disappeared from me. I have family but they have their own lives and my mum just heightens my anxiety. I miss being anxiety free down in Melbourne city but if I go back down I'm worried my anxiety will get worse as I'm back In the process of job hunting. This time however I would like to find a place of my own. I feel like I have no friends anymore and everyone around me seems to have a stigma about anxiety and doesn't want to know me when I'm going through it. I'm so bored and lonely up here, I want to restart my life as my anxiety has been pretty bad since I go back up. 😞
4 REPLIES 4

Re: A hard decision to make and no friends

Hi @Flower88 .. sorta been there re 'geographicals' ..are you getting treatment for anxiety? Sounds like that may be a factor whether you go back to Melbourne or not.Yes, people change, friends aren't forever unfortunately; they usually end up the way they are meant to though re friendships.

The most important friend in life is in the mirror.You.

If the reason for moving isn't there anymore, perhaps it is time to move. Or find a new reason for being there.

Where do You need to be @Flower88? it's not always easy, but put yourself first. Happiness comes from within. Do you think you are relying on others for your happiness? Not easy when they don't do what you expect them to. Been there. Take it easy. You will work out what you need 

Hi @TAB yeah taking some natural tablets and seeing a phycologist 🙂 the anxiety has been some stress since I came back up here, I don't think I'm coping with the fact that my mum moved over to aussy, horrible I know. But I feel like now I have to answer to her even though I'm 27, I'm very much a live my life how I like person. And I feel like she's taking away my independence, she was upset I wanted to go back down and we had a massive argument, she just wanted to know why I was etc. she thinks I'm just running away. It's not that I am I just love my freedom to do what I want. I have no kids or responsibilities so why shouldn't I. I don't rely on top many people now as I have learnt the hard way when having anxiety. I want to get my own place as I'm done with flatting too. I think I'm anxious that I won't get a job and become homeless too lol

sorta been there @Flower88 ..still had blow ups with father decades after leaving home. I thought I was 'answerable' to them/him most of my adult life re approval, dumb things I've done in past. Things been starting to back off last fews years, theyve just given in in their own way think lol. ..Had been worried about being homeless. in the past. And not that long ago. So long as you have somewhere. Usually helps to have work at other end prior to move. sounds like you know what you're doing. Well past the anxiety. Ask. Listen. Consider, Decide. Act. Or just decide. Or act.Smiley Happy can seem to take the 'fear' away re just acting, or having a plan 

Its a great idea to get your own place.  Take a while and do your research...feelings may go and up down while you do it .. but be thorough as it is the sort of decision that effects you for a long time.  Be viable ...dont stretch the budget too much ... go for solid and doable rather than ... the ideal ... the ideal can come later when your feet are solid on the ground ..and you have your own patch.Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance