Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Being managed out or let go for mental illnesses

What was her job position and what sort of a small business does your friend have?

@ivana small business - less than 30 employees.
The employee let go -let's just say fired - was in a junior role.
industry - professional (accounting or law for example.)

she was assisted to get a new job went straight from one to the next.

If her situation was 5 employees then perhaps it would be more understandable.
How were they able to get another employer to hire her if her productivity was so low?

15 is still a small business.
She was helped into a role with a different type of client that matched her skill set. My friend did not have that kind of client in her business.

Do you know how she feels about it? (The girl who was managed out)

of course not. I have nothing to do with it. I have never met the girl I imagine she would either be really pissed off or pleased with her new job.

I am in the position of being managed out right now. For almost a year I have been on indefinite leave from my job as a middle manager with a professional association because of major depression and anxiety.

Since late January, I have been paid income insurance to cover 75% of my former salary. (So things could have been a lot worse, to be honest.)  In four weeks, that income insurance will come to an end because my clinicians (GP, psycologist, psychiatrist) advised the insurers via the OT contractor that I am fully fit to work anywhere ... except my former job.

I knew that my former workplace was not a good situation for me to be in. But I still had to go through the process, in good faith. To suggest to my employers things that would help me in my return, which I did in a meeting a month ago. I thought it'd help them too because I can see them being in the same position with the next person who sits in that chair on a permanent basis. But the replies came back from across the table 'No, we disagree.' Ad infinitum.

Before that meeting, I thought a lot about the suggestions I would make. I knew as I prepared for that meeting that the suggestions that I made were the sort of things that wouldn't endear me to my boss or the CEO because what I said implied that their way of doing things was ... just maybe ... less than 100% ideal and a culture was being instilled where people in some positions were expendable and others could do what they liked. It was a calculated risk, and I didn't expec things to change. But I approached that meeting constructively and in good faith. And I'm being repaid for it by having my income insurance stopped.

Yesterday, my boss emailed me asking for a follow-up meeting to discuss the prospects for my return. Assuming that their attitude hasn't changed, I'd have a relapse if I were to return. I don't want to be in that position again.

The aren't a lot of permament jobs about in my profession. I'm getting some freelance work starting next week at a former employer. But I'd rather have a permanent job. It doesn't need to be a massive earner. It doesn't even need to match the salary I used to make. (You don't go into my profession expecting to become rich.) But the applications I've been putting in all year have got me nowhere.

@Zinoviev that totally sux I am so sorry.
Was it the job that caused you to have the problems? It sounds very stressful? In that case they do have a duty of care to you. Of course that can mean jack shit out in the real world. In any case not being paid would exacerbate anything that is happening for you right now. I think you were incredibly brave and resilient to try and change the conditions even though it didn't work.
I have no answers. everything suddenly gets so complicated When money is involved. integrity and what should be the right thing to do ...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance