Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Wigstar
New Contributor

Bipolar Meds

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Bipolar II Rapid cyclying about 12 weeks ago and have been on a horrible merrygoround of trying meds.Last round of meds had me feeling like a complete zombie and barely able to talk. I am a wife, and mother of two beautiful girls and need to be not doped up and able to function. Last week, I decided to take myself off the meds, so I've slowly decreased and for the last two days I'm med free - not feeling great, withdrawals I expected. I just wondered if there is anyone else in here who has managed to successfully live medication free?

4 REPLIES 4
pip
Senior Contributor

Re: Bipolar Meds

Hi Wigstar. I have never had to take medication for bipolar, but I was taking AD's for general depression for over 20 years. I was never monitored, the Dr would simply 'renew' my script without question. Three years ago, after an accident, I was stopped by the hospital. The only problem I had was inability to sleep, that is slowly changing, now. Towards the end of the cycle with the AD's, I was suffering horrendous hallucinations. As I said, since stopping the AD's 3 years ago, no ill affects. No withdrawals. I sometimes think I should've stopped years ago. Are you stopping with Dr's approval, if he's aware and is monitoring you, with bipolar, it is best for the Dr to be aware of any problems. If you do start experiencing problems please talk to your Dr a.s.a.p., get proper medical advise.

I to have diagnosis of bipolar 2 rapid cycle. I was diagnosed in 2013 and medicated. In 2015 I started to look at natural therapies and felt with determination, support from natural therapists, information and pure grit I could go med free. I VERY slowly started to reduce dose of each med and by Jan 2016 was med free. Big mistake. Huge mistake. I stayed med free for a period of 6 months. Increased anxiety was the first thing I felt coming up, this then triggered the sleeplessness, then the beautiful high followed by monumental depression. I managed for 6 months before a colossal crash of depression. After my experience I won't be going of meds again. With only weight gain as a side affect will not be putting my family or myself through it again. I feel like I had to try though.

Yes my Gp is aware of what I'm doing, and I see my psychiatrist on Tuesday. I've previously been on antidepressants for 18 years with a diagnosis of anxiety and depression. That diagnosis changed to bipolar after a  mild psychotic episode brought on by the AD's! I'm on day three now of withdrawal, and my history shows that this is by far the worst day, so hoping to see some improvement tomorrow. I'm really hopeful to do this med free

Just checking in on how you're travelling @Wigstar
How did the psychiatrist appointment go?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance