Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Meecie
Casual Contributor

Bipolar

I have been on medication for around 3 years for my bipolar, but they seemed to stop working as effectively as they once were. I have now been put on an antidepressent for the depression side of things but now that seems to have made me very irritable and I am now suffering from anxiety. I also have restless leg syndrome because of them.
I am sick of medications never living up to how they are advertised or how the psych says they will work. I know everyone is different and how they respond is all different but I am tired of constantly feeling low and anxious. What's the point of sleeping when it's your mind that is tired. I have a large family and its a lot to ask, when I feel so bad, they don't understand.
Mental illness is not fair, as best as you can you look after yourself sometimes it's still not enough.
1 REPLY 1
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Bipolar

Hi @Meecie,

A warm welcome to the forums and sorry for the delay in someone replying to your post from the other night. There is often alot of traffic on these forums and even though it is constantly moderated, sometimes a newbie slips past us for a while.

Reading through your post, I can feel your frustration at your lack on progress on the medication, and constantly feeling low and anxious. Many people here will very much relate to that ongoing cycle of their illness, and having to struggle through the "bad" patches.

Has your psychiatrist been offering any psychotherapy, suggested any self management for low mood and anxiety, or support programs? Sometimes people get a mental health plan from their GP in order to see a counsellor for the practical and self care aspects of treatment. 

Medication is not effective for everyone and can only be considered one part of a complete recovery plan for bipolar disorder. Have a read in some of the other threads to see what others have found to help them get through the tough weeks. You will get a lot of support and understanding here.

Hope to chat with you again.

kind regards,

Frog

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance