Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

CENSUS, 09/08 WHAT?

Just read there's a Census next week, its compulsary (fines of $180 day), and its mchanged to no longer anonymous and, oh yes, its gone digital. Tried but don't have the 12digit access code to do it. With time closing in this is a joke! Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: CENSUS, 09/08 WHAT?

Just rang the 1300 number, which is automated (not human), they, its also requesting a 12 digit number which it says is in a letter they sent, which i didn't receive or lost & forgot about re MI barriers or stress lately. What to do? This stuff really stressors me out, anyone else feel the same? Don't know what to do.

It says on my letter for information call 1300214531or census.abs.gov.au

what I would do is ring my federal minister there has to be a number you can get to get information?

Hi @Former-Member

I also struggle with automated telephone services – they can be so frustrating! Usually there is an option for “all other enquiries” or to hold the line, which will eventually take you to a real live person.

Do you think you could give yourself a break and come back to it after doing something nice and relaxing? It’s always harder to navigate those systems when you’re feeling stressed. When you do go to call again, maybe you could set yourself up on the couch with a nice cup of tea, just in case you’re spending a long time with the hold music.

I’m sure you’re not the only person in Australia to be missing your 12 digit number, so I’m sure there’s a way to speak to someone and find out what to do.

Good luck!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks guys, you wouldn't believe it, a lady popped by with the letter today, hand delivered, about 1pm, she said the num
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

I almost through the letter with the code out.  It was addressed To The Householder.  I thought it was another real estate letter.  I'm amazed I actually had a better look and realized that it might be important.  It almost ended up in the bin.  I think alot of people might have thrown theirs out, because it wasn't obvious what it was.

I also hate phoning up trying to sort things out.  I try to leave it, until it can't be left anymore.  Smiley FrustratedHeart

I had a guy knock on my door. He asked if I wanted to do it electronically. Hell no - internet is s**t in this area. He gave me the paperwork. Maybe the local post office might have some paper copies or you could try the lical council office.
Good luck
Former-Member
Not applicable

I didn't get the letter yet either and there are more than 800 people living in my building, mostly international students who have probably never heard of the census. If this is indicative, it's not going to be a great survey.

I'm sure I'm just repeating what you all already know but it is imperative that people like us complete the census. Policy decisions, like service delivery for mental health services, are made using census data. 

If you don't get a code or have lost it you can contact the ABS to get a new one using one of these options: https://www.census.abs.gov.au/eCensusWeb/contact.jsp 

If you want to do it by paper you can request a form by calling 1300 820 275. 

If, for whatever reason, you don't complete the census the ABS will notify you and give you the opportunity to complete it without issuing a fine. So don't stress if you cannot complete the census on the night. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance