Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Chibi
Casual Contributor

Feeling hopeless

Why do I feel worse sometimes after seeing my dr? I regret telling him too much forget to tell about other things.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Feeling hopeless

@Chibi. I understand what you mean. I think of what I want to discuss with my psychologist & then when I get there, other emotions or memories come out. But it's like life - not what I planned.
I don't regret telling him because everything is important in becoming healthy again.
I find I get emotional after a session. More sensitive. And exhausted. I normally have a good sleep after therapy. But the next day I'm good.
Could you write down what you would like to discuss at your counseling sessions. You could give it to your psychologist.

Dear Chibi. It's possible you feel a bit guilty telling a virtual stranger intimate details about your life. utopia had a great idea about writing down some of the things you feel uneasy talking about. When I was in counselling (having been an incest victim), I felt really uncomfortable discussing what happened. I felt as though I was betraying my whole family by telling what had happened. I found the best way to deal with it was writing down some of the things and telling the counsellor/psychiatrist I was embarrassed because I self-blamed. Victims usually self-blame because we're told by abusers that the attack WAS our fault. Also, if you are not comfortable talking about past, painful experiences, tell your Dr. The more you tell him/her, the more help you will get. Sometimes too, with the passage of time passed, we do forget details, then, later, recall those details. When you get home, if you do recall, write down what you recall. Next time you see the Dr tell him/her you've remember something and show/tell what you recall. Don't apologise for forgetting, apologizing means you feel responsible. If something was done to hurt you, that was not your fault, don't apologize for something that was done to you. If it was you that did whatever, just admit you were wrong and leave it at that.

Great insights and suggestions @utopia and @pip

I notice a lot of us feel quite sensitive after big sessions. Being kind to ourselves is important (sleep etc, as you suggested Utopia) and also reassuring ourselves we have been courageous in sharing and reaching out for help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance