Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mac
Contributor

Just me

I have cronic depression have had for years at the stage of my life (57) were my kids have grown up and left..thinking is this it for me my husband is not that into depression which leaves to fight this battle. Sometimes l feel sitting on my own we lived for our children brought them up well the next stage is to do what l am told.dont know how to look after myself yet but l have joined this forum to try and understand how to do that.have been to doctors and so on its a very personal journey to all of us. 

4 REPLIES 4
Shimmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Just me

Hi @Mac

I'm Shimmer, one of the moderators on the SANE Forums - welcome!

You seem to be feeling quite alone in managing your chronic depression, I imagine that would be really hard. I'm glad you have joined this wonderful community to get some support! Smiley Happy

Transition points in our lives such as moving on from the stage of needing to look after your children can be really challenging. Often we can feel at a loss of what to do after focusing on something for so long. Finding meaning in the next stage can make such transitions much more positive. I'm curious @Mac, what would you like your life to be about now? What are your passions, interests or values? These can provide great guidance when choosing an onward direction.

I was wondering as well, in what aspects of your life do you want to improve the way you look after yourself?

Welcome once again @Mac, I look forward to 'hearing' more from you!

Shimmer Smiley Happy

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Mac. Welcome to our site. Depression can be hard enough to deal with, but it sounds like you are just so lonely as well. It's hard when your partner can't / won't assist.
But this is now the time of your life when you get to do some things just for you.
We have members here that have decided to learn a musical instrument. Those who have the time now to focus on their passion for art. Others have really got into exercise or a new sport.
What have you always wanted to do?
What have you always wanted to learn?
If you are not sure, how about talking it over with your therapist. It may even be a good conversation to have with your husband and ask him what he always wanted to do/learn when he was younger.
How about going out for coffee or cake with friends. A few hours of good girl chat. Or taking a trip to visit one of your kids for a few nights. Hubby can look after himself for a few nights.
Now is your time for living
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Mac

Welcome to forums, im sorry to hear that you are struggling with the depression. i also have Major depression that just doesnt want to give up no matter what it seems. I have young children, i guess that is kind of helpful as it keeps me somewhat moving and distracted. 

It's really hard to feel alone though and unsupported, so im glad that you are here. Would it be possible to get out of the house a few times a week to see a friend or even just go for a walk. my brain is struggling to thing tonight! but i do understand how hard ti is to manage the constant low moods. 

Lj

No!  You don't have to cop this for ever and ever.  I can understand your husband not wanting to get involved, specifically it's just fine but don't dig deep - for some that's just how we are!

There are two basic types of depression.  1.  reactive depression.  2.  endogenous depression.  In all cases the other side of the same coin is anxiety.

Reactive.  When some thing or some one does or says something you react in any number of ways.  There may be an issue that can pull you down into the dumps, suddenly it's all hell and you have been snared.

endogenous.  It's in your jeans, you wake up in that depressed state.  This kind you can not cope with it.  This is serious!  Get a referral from your Doc to see a psychiatrist to get proper medication.  I wish to point out that I have been seeing my psychiatrist for 15 years.  He is a very caring man who I like very much.  We are always glad to greet each other.  Nearly80

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance