Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Medication?

Without breaching guidelines I think I need to have a thread about this topic .... pls let me know mods ... I will try and be general ... and am happy to edit if mistakenly I am too specific.

Finally getting to a place where I am prepared to seriously look at med issues for my son and me.

Getting my head around difference between major and minor tranquilisers and half lives etc...

If I go to this new psychiatrist and she wants to prescribe anti-psychotics or mood stabilisers ... I want it to be an informed and proper adult consent ... and not a blind obedience to an expert and submission as a guinea pig.

Feel free to comment or add own experiences ... without mentioning brand names and dosages ... is that right mods ... do I have essence of the guidelines down???

4 REPLIES 4
BeeGee
Senior Contributor

Re: Medication?

It's really difficult to have a meaningful conversation about this with the rules in their current state (as has been raised on another thread).  This is an excellent example of where a member is being a responsible health consumer and trying to broaden her understanding of medication options but any response can only be very vague and general to the point of being useless in order to get through the filter.

@Appleblossom, I could give you some useful general info from a medical perspective (without offering specific advice) but from experience it's just not going to get through the filter or moderators.

Perhaps you might like to join the conversation about this over at Another BlueBoard Refugee and add your thoughts.

Thank you @BeeGee

I may find it tough for a while.

I dont have the same faith in pdocs as some and dont want to go in blindly.

I have started reading some Pharmacology on line as I want to be on top of my son's situation as well.

The word nerd in me just loves it that I have discovered the conjugation concept in chemistry.Smiley Happy

Still have not made pdoc appointment

Tuesday I have a massage from Carers and going to see Osteopath ... Will get back to more body work in attempt to reduce these meds.

I have my 2 new psychologists and they are going well.

To present myself for diagnosis to a 3rd new party seems unwise at present ... may let the referral lapse.... and stabilise first ... if really need psychiatrist ... maybe in 6 months think about it again.

Do you think that could be a reasonable plan?

Apple

Hi Appleblossom,

I see you've tried to reply but your post got canned.

With respect to the plan you proposed, I can only offer the most general comments in order to comply with the guidelines.

The med you mentioned due to "your little crisis", and your plan to cease it, is certainly wise.  This class of medication can be dependency forming and should not be used routinely beyond this time period.  If you find you are still suffering anxiety there are other options that are safer to use longer term - a number of ADs offer useful anti-anxiety properties.  Talk to your GP about this if anxiety proves to be an ongoing problem for you after weaning off this one - he/she should be able to offer you options that work with your existing meds.

I'm not sure what AD you are on; you said you are about to run out and are considering tapering down. I would definitely hesitate to start weaning off your AD while you are coming off the aforementioned med. One at a time is more manageable.  Also, I'd suggest running out of prescription is not a great reason to come off your AD if it is working well for you - again, maybe see your GP and get a repeat (even if it was prescribed originally by someone else) to give you more breathing space.  Then, once you are stable from withdrawal #1 you can think about whether you are truly ready.  Timing for AD withdrawal really is very dependent on the specific med; some have short half lives and can be weaned quickly, while others have long half lives and need a slow approach.  I'd suggest talking this over with your GP when you go to get a repeat script and get some advice on timing if you are still keen to wean.

Glad to hear your psychologists are working out well!  Good ones make all the difference.

Conjugation - heh! Yeah, love that too.  Conjugated bilirubin vs. conjugated verbs... lots of fun there.

Hopefully if you have a decent GP he/she can help you through this period without the need for a psychiatrist referral just now, and deal with that down the track.  I guess that kind of depends on what AD you are on atm... GPs can prescribe the common ones but if it is something exotic they may want to defer to a psych.

All the best Appleblossom... I hope this is some help even if a bit vague.

I thought I had changed the post to comply with guidelines but ??

Thank you @BeeGee You are probably right about the AD I will take it slowly

I have been looking for a good GP for a year ... thought I had found a good one but she was setting up a chain of clinics and jumping around geographically, like a ping pong ball. I have only had one session with her replacement.

Who seems a nice young lass, only in the country a few months. Because of the long half-life with my particular AD I think I will alternate so it averages as same dose over 2 days ... and get in to see her ASAP.

We need good GPs in this field. Thanks so much for reply.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance