Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

My pdoc

I had an appointment with my psychiaitrist yesterday and I noticed he is as far from recovery orientated as you can get. Why have I only just noticed this now after seeing him for years and years? He is still of the opinion that I'll never recover, despite having less and less time in hospital and being discharged from any sort of community support services. I found it was bothering me, especially since I am now studying for my Diploma in Mental Health. I hope his attitude doesn't send me backwards.

Do others find their doctors not in the recovery mindset? If yes, do you feel this could hamper your recovery journey?

6 REPLIES 6
Kurra
Community Elder

Re: My pdoc

I haven't had this problem @Queenie but if I had I would certainly be looking around for a psychiatrist with a much more positive attitude. It's really important to find someone who is prepared to understand that recovery or at the very least partial recovery is possible. 💕

I think you're probably right @Kurra

It's a shame though because his mental health nurse working with him (and giving me my depot injections) it very recovery orientated. I haven't seen her recently however as I've been staying on the other side of the city these past couple of weeks. 

I think he needs an attitude re-adjustment! If I find another pdoc, it will be a big hit to the hip pocket because my current doc is the only one on Brisbane's northside who bulk bills those on a pension. 

Kurra
Community Elder

It could be an invaluable way to spend your money @Queenie.
My apologies but I've forgotten your diagnosis so I can't comment specifically. I've got bipolar 1 and was told 25 years ago that I'd never live outside a psych institution. They got it wrong.

Apart from an unexpected hiccup in the last 24 hrs I lead a normal and stable life. Yep. I'm med compliant and will remain so for the remainder of my life. I'm not complaining at all. I'm living a real life!

I live with schizophrenia and depression. I was told I would have to live in a group home or live in an institution also. Instead I live an independent life. So I'll have to take medications to help me, but so do many medical conditions. I might keep an eye out for more recovery orientated psychiatrists. 

Thanks for your reply @Kurra

Kurra
Community Elder

Ah hah not so dissimilar then. I experience psychotic episodes at both extremes of the syndrome. I've had major issues with voices from quite a young age but I thought everyone did - that it was quite normal.

Last night was exceedingly challenging. I developed a dysphoric mania. The agitation was excruciating and I paced the house the whole night. I hit it hard with the antipsychotic I've been prescribed. I hot to work. I didn't really have a choice but fortunately I've been on the move most of the day so I didn't have the problem of trying to stay at my desk. That would have been very difficult. Spoke to my pdoc who advised continuing the ap for a week or two .

I'm still pacing but I'm able to sit still for 5 m8ns or so at a time. One thing I do know is that I'm going to win this battle. Fortunately my pdoc believes that recovery is possible.

That sounds like a harrowing experience @Kurra. I hope you are able to settle soon. 

I hear voices also. At times of depression or stress they are a lot worse than they are at the moment though. At present it's just background mumbling and laughter like as if someone has left a radio on or something. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance