Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Need advice please (info below).

@Former-Member  Yes. It was mod-deleted because I went on a bit of a rant about a public figure, which goes against the forum guidelines, as it turns out. Here's most of the original post, with the offending bit chopped out. Smiley Tongue:

@Former-Member wrote:

Well yes that's true with the virus stuff and this hospital, but it seems like they've just deleted all the complaint stuff off the website and there's not even any machines (like an iPad) to do it anymore, or even paper forms. Ridiculous.

Well, as I think I said in a previous post, my view would be that the subject of whether to and how to make a complaint is a "tomorrow" problem. Today's problem would seem to be simply getting yourself out of this guy's care.

Normally, I would think that the best way to do that would be to deal directly with the admin dept. of the hospital that manages the guy. But as you say, you've tried that and they haven't replied to you. It might be worth placing a second call in and just reminding them that you have an unresolved inquiry that hasn't been addressed in several weeks. If you do, it might also be worth your while not mentioning that you wish to make a complaint, as this may provoke a hostile attitude towards you. Simply tell them that you wish to be taken off this nurse's patient roster and sever all future contact with him.

If you really can't get any help from the hospital itself, then the only other thing I might be able to suggest is to contact a mental patient advocacy group like VMIAC (www.vmiac.org.au, for Victorians), Being (being.org.au , for NSW), or WA Consumers of Mental Health (www.comhwa.org.au , for WA). Even if none of those are your state, they may still be able to give you guidance on how to get yourself out of this guy's "care", or refer you to some org that is better placed to help you with that problem. They may even be able to offer you some advice on how to make a complaint, if you still wish to go down that road. Though once again, keep in mind that their likely bogged down due to coronavirus, so you mightn't get an immediate response.

On the subject of making a complaint, I did find this page, which may be of interest to you: https://cchr.org.au/where-to-lodge-complaints-about-psychiatrists-psychiatric-hospitals-and-other-mental-health-workers.

You may also be interested in making a submission to the currant royal inquiry into abuse, ect. of disabled people (here at:https://disability.royalcommission.gov.au/share-your-story ). I was surprised to learn that the inquiry classifies anyone who finds themselves in need of the services of the mental health system as "disabled". So even if you aren't disabled in the traditional sense, they may still be interested in hearing about your ordeal with this guy.

@Former-Member wrote:

Headspace probably deleted me off their file and to be honest I hope they did. Basically what happened there is last year or the year before, I went there for an 8 week group (I have no idea what it was for, I didn't get a single thing out of it), and then they put me in with a Psychologist there. I enjoyed it for about 2 sessions, then everyone just turned against me - staff, manager, group members, and made fun of my mental illnesses, and just hated me. I was polite to everyone and tried to explain my mental health issues, and tried to have a positive attitude each week. I walked out and slammed the door I don't know how many times after i was treated at Headspace. No one was nice to me there at all despite how nice I was to them. Yes I made a complaint about that and got the outcome I was looking for.

Your impression is typical of what I hear about Headspace. I'm told that in the general community, it's typically referred to as "WasteOfSpace" because the unspoken truth is that it almost never does anyone any good.

It seems that you are having a great deal of trouble finding people who are respectful to your situation. Headspace, your GP, this nurse... they all seem to be very disrespectful towards you and your condition. Could it be worth your while looking into how you might find someone who specializes in your particular situation? It sounds like mainstream care may not be adequately equipped to handle your needs. Not that this is surprising (the system is terrible through-and-through, IMHO), but I'm just thinking that you might have better luck if you seek out more specialized care.

@Former-Member wrote:

I'm sorry your therapist said that to you, that sucks. I hope you find someone who is supportive and treats you with respect, the way you should be treated, a professional. 

I'm not! Smiley Wink That diagnosis (that I was "cured") was my ticket out of her horrible care! I may be sorry for dozens of the things she said to me in treatment (many of them still have me messed up), but her BS pronouncement that I was "cured" was not one of them. That was liberation.

I'm never going back to therapy. After my 7-year long nightmare with that woman... I just can't risk straying back into another ordeal like that. I can't take any more of that sort of punishment, and I certainly can't take the very real risk that the nightmare might last even longer, or be significantly worse then what I've already endured.

When you tell people what you've been through they just keep saying: "go back into therapy, go back into therapy... you mightn't get a good therapist at first but eventually you'll find one", as if the horror stories in mental healthcare don't exist, or are just a trifle. But therapists destroy people! They ruin lives, and yes, sometimes it really is beyond all hope of recovery despite all the cheap, baseless, platitudes you might hear to the contrary!

The therapy industry is a real minefield, with real and abundant risks, and real and abundant horror stories. And the cold truth is that, under reasonable risk/reward analysis, a great many people are better off staying put and waiting for Father Time's gentle release then they are in subjecting themselves to the heartless cruelty of Dr. Mengele's laboratory of horrors. It's not a myth. It's real, and it's all too common.

Apologies for the rant, @Former-Member. It's not really directed at you. It's directed at the multitude of people I've encountered over the years who speak as if my past experiance has little or no relevance towards the matter of whether or not I should seek out more therapy.

@Former-Member wrote:

Sorry for my lengthy, confusing rants. I appreciate your support and being there, it does mean a lot, so thank you. I'm here for you too.

That's okay. Smiley Happy These are lengthy, confusing dillemmas we find ourselves in, so lengthy, confusing rants seem quite apt.Smiley Very Happy

I hope things work you for you with this nurse.

@chibam I got a notification saying you mentioned me in this post today but there's nothing here, was it deleted or something?

@chibam I thought it might have been mod deleted, all good, no worries. Thanks for replying and I know you were ranting about the healthcare. Good to see that you agree with me about Headspace and the other stuff. That was the only place I could go to meet people, with mental illnesses or not, who are teens and in their 20s (I'm 20, 21 this year). Can't even begin to tell you how rude the manager was. Luckily she doesn't work there anymore.

As for those links you sent me, I'll check them  out, thank you. I'm in Victoria.

The place this rude Nurse works at isn't a psychiatric hospital or anything, it's just a hospital and Doctors clinic, so the hospital part for people who say have day surgery or something, they do tests like ultrasounds, primary health which this rude Nurse is under (also stuff like podiatry, etc) and the GP clinic. Sorry if that confused you.

What also annoyed me is that yesterday which I mentioned, he called about 5 times. I understand they may have legal things and whatnot to follow up somehow if a patient doesn't attend an appointment or whatever, but call once, leave a message, simple. That's harassment, would you agree? He called at 1:13pm, 1:18pm, 1:57pm, & 2pm yesterday. Finally left a voice message at 1:57-2pm yesterday, just saying "oh hi it's (his name), I was supposed to have an appointment with (my name) today but i can't get through. Please get her to call (number)." I think there was more to the message but I hung up the voice message and deleted them. I blocked the number he told me over the phone, but he'll probably still call because all the times he did it was red for missed call and said "No Caller ID". 

You'd be annoyed at that too if it was you, right? And thats good that you're out of that person's care, good on you. You don't deserve to be treated awfully, no one does, whether its mental  health or any type of healthcare.

I'll probably get something in the mail now saying I missed an appointment and trying to reschedule. Any advice on that?

@Former-Member wrote:

I'll probably get something in the mail now saying I missed an appointment and trying to reschedule. Any advice on that?

Sorry. I think I'm pretty much all out of advice. As I say, I really don't know much about MH nurses or the beaurocratic protocols surrounding them.

Were your sessions with this guy free, on medicare? Cause I've been thinking that if you had to pay for them, you might get a bill for the session you missed. I know dentists charge you full price for a missed appointment if you don't give at least 24hrs notice. Not sure how MH nurses work.

@Former-Member wrote:

What also annoyed me is that yesterday which I mentioned, he called about 5 times. I understand they may have legal things and whatnot to follow up somehow if a patient doesn't attend an appointment or whatever, but call once, leave a message, simple. That's harassment, would you agree?

In context, with the way you were treated at your last session, then yes, I would lean towards guaging it as harassment. But don't expect anyone official to view it that way; they tend to favor the rules/guidelines they've laid out for their workers, rather then the circumstances of their patients. So, if the rules of a MH nurse state that: "When a patient misses an appointment, you must make every effort to determine their wellbeing, to insure that they aren't attempting suicide", the guy's boss(es) probably won't classify those 5 calls as harassment, they'll classify them as "due dilligence".

In fact, you may have been lucky that the guy didn't come knocking on your door.

@chibam no worries, I do appreciate you helping. I think it was free, I'm not too sure, I was never told about that by anyone. I hope it was free or Medicare paid for it atleast. They never asked me for details with Medicare though.

Yes true he could've been doing his job, but he doesn't need to call 5 times in the space of a few minutes, once would've been enough. I'm sure those bosses etc would agree, right? Good point he didn't come knocking on my door, I've been fearful that he might and I certainly hope not. What would that mean if he did, surely THAT would count as harrassment?

I do understand the rules, etc though. But like I said once was enough and others agree.

Hope that you are looking after yourself and using your offline supports @Former-Member
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance