Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Trying74
Casual Contributor

New to SANE and forum

Have been struggling for the last year or so on/off with anxiety and depression. Really just wanted to make contact with people who are in the same boat.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: New to SANE and forum

Hi Trying 74. Anxiety/depression really rules at times. People tell you to 'snap out of it', 'rise above it' etc. Ask them 'how', and suddenly, you're on your own. Do you have any hobbies or interests that held you before you became sick? Sometimes simply walking, reading a good book, listening to music, watching a comedy on t.v. Quite often the simplest things bring us the most pleasure. Don't try to 'out do' yourself. If you're on AD's these will help, perhaps you need moderating with them. Talk to your Dr if you're unsure how you're feeling. AD's can take time to adjust to, too. keep a note of your day to day thoughts, ambitions etc. Sometimes getting out of bed can be major. If this is one of your 'down' areas, treat yourself when you succeed. Little and often is the key to getting the 'black cloud' to lift. Depression is the black cloud you have to lift.

Hi @Trying74. Have hope and get comfort from the fact that you arent alone in your experiences of depression. Im a fellow sufferer and in the same boat. Im new to Sane and glad Ive joined. Ive been reading some of the posts and have been impressed with the great and sensible advice. Hang in there. You are not alone.

I couldn't agree more in regards to the flippant comments people make who have never suffered with depression or anxiety. Its never as simple as 'just getting over it'. 

I used to be heavily into sport a few years back and it really helped, however a separation and moving areas and the unfortunate issue of people taking sides left me extremely alienated and not knowing who to trust anymore. I had a mental breakdown just over a year ago with 3 shorts term admissions into various PECC units and being put on anti-depressants and I don't feel Im getting any better. 

Im struggling with my GP who I feel doesn't really 'know me' and I find she doesn't quite get the whole issue of mental illness. I have quit work due to my anxiety and now I feel like I have no focus. But going to work was making me worse. So I kind of feel at a loss.

Im 42 and I feel like I don't know who I am.

Thanks @Bridgetjones. I too have been reading the posts and people here seem really willing to take the time to read and understand. It's very nice. Trying to talk to those who don't understand is really hard. And for me I always feel like such an imposition, so I stay quiet.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance