Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

TophOfGallifrey
Casual Contributor

Newbie here, handle with care

Hi all
I saw an ad on TV for this site so thought I would check it out
I'm currently living with PTSD and Depression (as well as other health issues) and apart from my psychiatrist (who only get to see once every two months because she is so in demand) I don't have anyone I can talk to about it, no one who gets it or even tries to understand.
I keep being told to "keep my chin up" and "get on with life" but people don't understand. I thought coming here might help, finding people who can understand.
I probably won't post heaps but I would like to chat with people so say hi if you wanna chat 🙂
5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Newbie here, handle with care

Hi @TophOfGallifrey,

I'm one of the moderators on the Forums. First of all, I have to say I love your username! As a fellow Whovian myself, I welcome you to the SANE Forums! Smiley Happy

I also just wanted to say well done for coming online and seeking some support... I know a lot of the members here would empathise with what you are going through. It can be really hard trying to be strong all the time, especially when things feel overwhelming. Having other people tell you to "keep your chin up" can be so condescending in those times.

Please feel free to browse through some of the other threads on the Forum. If you want to see some other threads that are discussing things like PTSD and Depression, all you have to do is search for those terms in the search bar at the top of the page. 

If you have any questions, or want to tell us a bit more about yourself and what you'd like to get out of the Forums please let us know!

@tophofgallifrsy. I can understand the frustration of your situation. I do have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and PTSD. I have since undergone successful treatment for PTSD (caused by workplace incident). I have a psychiatrist I currently SKYPE with fortnightly, plus a psychologist I was seeing weekly but now see fortnightly.
My psychiatrist is mainly for diagnosis and medication. My psychologist is the one who is teaching me coping techniques and stress management.
Maybe ask your psychiatrist for a referral to a psychologist. Alternatively, your gp can refer you to one.
If funds are a bit tight, the gp can refer you under a mental health care plan where you can get free counseling.
Telling those of us with MI to "just get on with things" doesn't help. In fact it makes us feel like failures for not being able to do it.
But with the help of further therapy - psychologist - you can start feeling better.
I wish you all the best.

Hi @Former-Member

Thank you for the message 🙂 always great to find a fellow Whovian, Allons-y!

Hello @utopia thank you for your message.
So sorry to hear you're living with PTSD, anxiety and depression as well
I have asked about seeing a psychologist but I've been told to stay with the lady I see now as she feels it's a crucial time for me to work through stuff even though I can only see her once every two months
I have had the GP mental health plan done earlier this year but was told I have "reached my annual limit" and I have to pay for sessions now which is a big cost but it's helping.

@TophOfGallifrey. What a bugger. I hate how the government reduced the amounts of free visits. It's so important to get help early on. 6 visits don't cut it for most.
I understand your psychiatrists need to keep you working on certain things, but if that's what she recommends, then she needs to be available at least fortnightly - not bi monthly. I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't have weekly visits for my talking therapy.
Does your gp recognise that you need more help than you are currently getting? I don't understand why psychiatrists and psychologists can't work together to help someone.
When is your next appointment? I wonder if you can go on the waiting list if there's a cancelation
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance