Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

trying_again
Casual Contributor

Psychosis

Recently I experienced psychosis for the first time which involved believing I was being targeted by many people and organisations. 

It’s not as bad now but I still have a general uneasiness around certain groups of people which is hard to explain.

I‘m wondering how people who have also experienced this go about making friends again or staying friends with people you thought wanted to harm you?

How do you know the difference between when to trust your gut and when it’s just paranoid thinking? 

How do you move past fear and shame relating to your past actions?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Psychosis

@trying_again ,

Good on you for persisting and doing what you can as part of your recovery.

Do you have a counsellor or therapist you can speak to? It's certainly worth doing some work with a professional in regards to building trust again.

Well done for reaching out. Have you heard of SANE's Guided Service? You can check whether you are eligible based on your postcode:

https://www.sane.org/referral#registering-myself

I have support workers atm and planning to start with a psychologist soon. I used the guided service last year. 

Good on you @trying_again  . I can see you are trying your best. I hope people can share their experiences with you about how they managed to move on past any shame and guilt. Unfortunately, I can't say I have experience in this area.

I hope to see you around later this week.

Thanks 👍

Hi @trying_again   Welcome to the forums where I hope you’ll find supportive people who are willing to share their lived experience.

I have experienced psychosis on several occasions but my current meds seem to be working for now.

At times I have backed away from friends so they didn’t see me when I was unwell. It’s hard to move on when you know people are out to get you but this is something I am working through with my psychiatrist. 

When I’m well I feel in control and can do whatever needs to be done but I’ve just had to accept that there are times when I’m not well and reach out for support before the psychosis takes over.

Take care. This is a very supportive forum.

Go with your gut, @trying_again, but monitor your thinking. 

wordman
Senior Contributor

@trying_again Hello. In regards to trusting your gut. I believe it is exactly the very thing you need to be open to when it comes to guidance and intuition. We are all paranoid in some ways. Some worse then others. There are a lot of paranoid suspicious people who go undiagnosed. Your gut instincts is what you must rely on. Intuition and insight is a wonderful thing. Don't be afraid of it. Embrace it and you will become empowered. Be mindful of your moods and emotions when your gut tells you something you don't like. I hope this is helpful. 

Kind Regards 

Wordman 

wordman
Senior Contributor

@trying_again Hello. I myself felt shame and fear for many years after my diagnoses. I can absolutely assure you you have nothing to be ashamed of. Fear can be overcome if you put your faith in yourself to accomplish and achieve. Courage and strength is what you need to overcome fear. The fact you listen to your gut means that you are aware and conscious of the world around you. Continue to be guided by your instinct. Its definitely nothing to fear and be ashamed of. 

Kind Regards

Wordman

Hey @trying_again , How are you going? Thinking of you and hope you are okay.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance