Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jeejee
Casual Contributor

Sad so sad.

Hi, this is my first post and I don't know if there's anything that can be done to help me. I have been diagnosed with depression for thirty years. I'm in my fifties and I'm forever, sad. I had a very dysfunctional family and I have been trying to cope with life, my own children, whom I love so much, my husband, who stands by me. I have no true friends. Whenever I try, they always seem to move on. Gee! I seem to be making no sense but I feel if I just keep typing, then everything will come out. I've seem a councillor a couple of times and she blames my Mum for a lot of my issues. She was mean when I was growing up. It was normal to me, though. Getting belted seemed the norm. I'm one of eight kids and I don't see five of them, haven't for nearly thirty years. I don't know when it all started but my dad was accused of abuse of my younger sisters. I knew nothing. Some people say, you were young it wasn't your fault but I feel I should have seen something. They said your mum must have known but I don't know. Anyway, I said to one sister that we will go to the police, she said no, so that made me doubt. I stopped seeing my dad for three years. Mum left him but went back, my kids kept asking where he was, so I went back. I was close to my Dad but he never abused me or showed any signs of it. He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and I was there for all the treatment, back and forward to the hospital for treatment and his operation, which took its toll on us. He lasted another year after the op. The cancer came back and he passed away. Two brothers and one sister came to the funeral. One hasn't talked to me since because there was no money for him. We aren't rich, so I don't know what he expected. Anyway, I see one brother occasionally and my sister who lived two hours away has just moved to NSW. We put my Mum in a nursing home because she had a heart condition. She lived with us for seven years after Dad died. I had to have a back op so I couldn't look after her. I've felt so guilty putting her in there because she isn't disabled or unable to do things, she is just dependent on people, especially me. My sister and brother don't go to see her and I bring her home for the day, once a fortnight. She loves coming out to see her dog and cat, which I inherited when she went in. I went to the nursing home one day and they said your Mum has packed and says she's going home to live with you permanently. I was shocked but thought, she lived with us before, I can do it. After a week, I broke down, couldn't cope and asked her to go back. I felt a failure. So much had changed since she was with us before. She needed so much medication that I was overwhelmed. I had to face the staff at the home and looked and felt so defeated. They told me not to worry but I felt so sad. I look at oldies down the street and cry. I wanted to be happy with my Mum. She started to call me darling, which I hated because I was never her darling. She calls the nurses darling, in the home. I told her not to call me that and she apologised. I've tried joining different clubs but once they start to ask personal questions, I well up and can't cope. I've left work because I couldn't cope and thought I'd better get out of my job before I stuff up. I left feeling sad. I'm now sitting typing, while my poor husband has to put up with my moods. He doesn't help the cause though. He's too nice. He just says if you want to or whatever suits honey. It drives me insane. When I go off, it's a one sided argument. He has been with me for forty years. Probably too scared to leave. Lol. I ask him to do something though and he puts it off. I end up doing it. Oh, I don't know what's happening, maybe I should finish now and come back tomorrow and pick up where I left off. If anyone is reading this, thank you for your time. I really wish people would listen to us face to face, not to judge but just hear us out.tears are welling up again, so, I will go and try to cheer myself up again. A daily ritual. One day, I don't think I'll be able to but until then, I'll try.

25 REPLIES 25
pip
Senior Contributor

Re: Sad so sad.

Hi Jeejee. You've had so much on your plate and no-one to share. You're married, but hubby doesn't share, even though he's 'there', he isn't really there. Sounds like your mum is in the early stages of dementia. When people become what used to be known as 'senile' they smile and refer to everyone as 'darling', 'honey'. Unfortunately, it means nothing as they're not aware. It's possible and extremely sad your dad abused your sibling, but that's not your fault. If you think about that, logically, what could you have done to prevent it. I really feel sad you feel so alone, I'm listening and in no way judging. How do you cheer up, what do you do to make yourself feel good? Crying is good therapy, but after a while the tears are just that, tears. Have you kept a journal to record your life's journey. Even if you had known about your dad, there's a pretty good chance you couldn't have done anything. Sometimes keeping track of good times as well as not so good times can be good. You have missed so much in your life. You said you're one of eight, where are you in connection with your siblings? Are you one of the first-born or were there a few before and after you. You probably feel as though you got 'lost' somewhere in your family. It also sounds as though your mum had little or no financial support which could explain why she took your dad back each time. Also if he was a tyrant, maybe she felt she had no choice. You had no childhood, I think that's why the tears come so quickly. You're mourning so much lost life. There's also a lot of guilt and anger inside you for everything that's happened. Try not to blame yourself so much for everything that happened. You can't be expected to stop people from hurting other people. Your sister being attacked, that was not your fault, that is your father's shame. he's passed now. If you feel you can't have your mum visit, don't feel guilty for that. Explain where she's living that you're unwell, worn out and need time to recuperate. If your mum does have dementia, she honestly won't know. If she doesn't, maybe talk on the phone, tell her you're tired and need time for yourself. If she calls you selfish, don't be scared to admit, yes, I am selfish. What's the worse that can happen from you wanting 'you' time?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jeejee  I'm glad that you found Sane and are able to write down your feelings.  Sorry to hear that you are feeling so alone and I hope that it helps you to chat on here.  Please feel free to chat on here anytime about anything.

Ive only joined in on here last week and I have found that people on here are very caring and understanding and wont judge you.  We all have a story.

By the sounds of it your upbringing has been quite traumatic and its no wonder you are struggling with depression.  It would be so good for you if you were able to find a good counsellor to help you deal with all the things you mentioned.  Its not easy finding the right person to talk to and one that can actually help.  Is there anyone that could recommend someone that could help you?  I hope you feel comfortable chatting on here anytime.  

It must be hard for you, not really knowing the truth about your father, but there was nothing that you could have done anyway. 

I understand about the guilt of you not being able to care for your mother.  If you feel that you cant cope with caring for her, thats ok, try to forgive yourself.  

I wish I could do something to help you feel better.  But all I can do is be here to chat.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.  Heart

Thanks for your thoughts on my problems. I was pleased to hear from some people so quickly. I'll find my way I guess. I always do.

I'm the eldest daughter, I have an older brother, we haven't talked since my Dads funeral. He hasn't kept in touch with my Mum either. What a great family! We came out from Britain in the late 60's. it was hard not having Aunties or Uncles to visit or keep in touch with.  I guess I had to grow up quickly because six kids came over and another two girls were born here. I helped look after them. Leaving school at fifteen, I worked and handed all my pay over to care for the family. I was given $5 a week from my pay. My older brother was the same. We were told we had to help the family out. One week my brother went to a party and never had any money to give, I watched as my Mum belted him in the corner. It was just accepted, why? I have no answer. I guess if we spoke up, we would cop it too. I had a day off work and went for a drive with my boyfriend(now my husband) mum found out and I was belted around the head and told never to see him again. I talked my way out of it by saying I'd do more around the house, which I did. I had to have the house spotless before I could go anywhere. I know all this seems like I'm whinging but I feel that's why I've always been so reserved and found it hard to mix with people. When my younger siblings were older, I told them to never tell Mum how much money they had. Otherwise she'd want it. She mellowed over the years, once my children came along. I have four. She was like a different person towards them, so our lives were going along well until one of my sisters ran away and when she was caught the allegations against my Dad were made. It all turned bad again from there. I stood by my sisters, then because my Mum and I went back to seeing my Dad, my sisters wanted nothing to do with us. My brothers haven't talked to me for over twenty eight years. They just got on with their lives and have never got in touch. So sad to think of all that's happened. When I look back I get so down. As I said before, I have no friends to talk to and this is now going to be my escape. I'm going to write down all that comes to me. I don't want to write a diary or journal, I don't want my children to find it. I don't want them to see how depressed I really am. Sometimes I feel it would be easier if I wasn't here but my grand children keep me sane.

Dear Jeejee. While I can understand your reluctance to keep a journal for fear your children or g'children find it. I found once my kids understood how I was raised, it became easier for them to understand why I acted the way I did. Kids understanding today is amazing. They see so much violence and dysfunctional families on t.v, a lot of the time, they simply can't believe it really happens. If they are made aware that some things portrayed on t.v are real, it makes them more aware that not everybody lives in clean houses, with sooo much love and tenderness. I used to believe that people like 'The Waltons' and 'Little House On The Prairie' were real. I would fantasize that I came from that environment. I would now rather my kids know truth than fiction. My kids understand my depression because of where I came from, to where I am now. They've seen me grow so much from the person who sat in the corner and refused to speak for fear of saying the wrong thing. I have so much wisdom from where I came from, my kids and g'kids actually ask questions about 'were your parents really like that?'. There is no hate, or animosity, just respect. They recognize some people just can't be anything other than what they are. Kids are amazing with their powers of observation and insight. They teach you the real meaning of love and respect from the way they're treated. Love and respect are two-way streets, give it freely, receive it, just as freely.

Hi @Jeejee

Welcome to the Forums. I'm so sorry to read what you have been through. No one deserves that.

This community is certainly a great place to 'get it all out' and be supported and heard by others. I think using this as a place to write about what happened is a great idea, if it's useful. I just want to flag that within this community we ask that members don't go into specific/graphic detail about abuse, only because it can trigger others. You can read more about it in our Community Guidelines.

If you ever want to reach out to additional support, BlueKnot Foundation could be a good start! SANE Australia's helpline might also be helpful for more referrals: 180018 7263.

I hope to continue to 'see' you around the forums and that you find this community helpful 🙂

Sorry NikNik, I guess when writing, I just kept going. I'm sure now that I've spoken out that I'll feel better for a while.

Hi @Jeejee

No need to apologise at all!!
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jeejee. I'm so sorry that you went through all that. You didn't deserve that sort of treatment, no one does. 💜

I'm on here every day lately if you feel like chatting. 💗

utopia
Senior Contributor

Hi @Jeejee. Welcome to the forum. I find that delving into my past is hard sometimes, expecially when I'm alone. And although it still hurts, talking about it with my therapist is better, because he makes sure I'm coping and can re shut the door to the past - when I'm not with him. Otherwise I'm scared I'd cry all the time or be angry or self destructive.
When I'm not talking with my therapist I try to go for walks, housework, knitting, reading, relaxation & mindfulness exercises. I try to focus on doing things I enjoy.
What do you do @Jeejee to feel good? You said you have grandkids - how many? What do you enjoy doing with them? Do you do any art or craft? Do you have a green thumb and a beautiful garden? Do you have music that youenjoy? Music that moves the soul or moves your feet?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance