Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Miss_S
Contributor

Voices

I hear voices and get bad anxiety every day. Im currently hearing them. 😞 sometimes i feel like my medication doesnt work. How many others hear voices out there? X
14 REPLIES 14
pip
Senior Contributor

Re: Voices

Hi Miss_S. I'm no Dr, but it sounds like a form of schizophrenia. I would suggest you get to your Dr and see about getting your medication reviewed. How long since you visited a Dr? Any sort of mental illness needs constant monitoring. Perhaps you also need to see a therapist to learn how to deal with the voices you're hearing. Are the voices suggesting anything, or just talking? Please see your Dr for a review of your medication.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I see my psychiatrist every fortnight. The voices tell me people are out to get me. They tell me to not take my medication because its poison and i will die. They tell me im stupid and worthless. They tell me alot of things i wish i didnt hear. When im out i hear everyone speaking negatively about me and i hear my name 😞

Thank you for replying to me
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Miss_S,

I have in the past, but thanks to meds I don't anymore.

Perhaps go back to your doc and see if you can get your meds adjusted.

I personally also found that there were some things I could do to help when I was hearing them. I found watching tv/movies or at least having it on in the background really helpful. I liked watching Dr Who and I found when listening to it, I could tune out the voices like it was the tv.

I also found that the voices were less loud when I went out with other people, as opposed to going out alone, so I would arrange a friend to do my gocery shopping with me, and then I also had someone to talk to while I did it.

I also found distracting activities where my hands were occupied, i.e. I was doing something helpful. So instead of sitting still I would do the knitting, or when I was feeling bad I would bake. Something to fidget with, for some reason it helped with anxiety and resisting the urges/voices to hurt myself.

Ask to see a psychologist if you haven't already, they can help you find some things that you find helpful to help you cope.

pip
Senior Contributor

Hi Miss_S. Please, please, please ignore the voices. People with your illness often have this destruction inside them and they don't get help. You are not stupid nor worthless. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I had a mild form of schizophrenia. Is your psych helping you? If you feel as though he/she isn't, please get a referral to another therapist. Your medication WILL help you. Not taking it is not a good idea. Try to remember when you were taking it regularly, did you feel better, more in control. If you felt similar to now, obviously it's either not strong enough, or it's not the right medication for you. Can you phone an ambulance to admit you to a mental health ward for review? Perhaps phone lifeline or Beyond Blue, both organizations have trained counsellors who would be willing to help you get help. Schizophrenia like any other mental illness is controllable, but only you can ask for help.

I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. I have seen one other psychiatrist before the one im seeing now and he wasnt helping me. The one im seeing now has helped more. I was worse in the past but still hearing the voices. I stopped taking a medication that was working in the past because of the weight gain. 😞
Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Is it normal to hear voices?
Does everyone hear them and is just too afraid to stand out
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @ScienceBoy101,
Unfortunately it's not a simple answer. There are plenty of people that hear voices and don't have a mental illness. But for some people it means they might be ill.
I sometimes hear voices, and they're pretty distressing, but some people's voices are nice and are even supportive.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance