Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Courage77
New Contributor

Workplace bullying

I have been suffering work place bullying for 2 years with no support from my bosses... I know found my self very distress, which I took myself to the doctor! I now am on workcover and feeling so so down and out. I have seen a physcologist the past week and feel really sad and lost! I can't sleep and having really bad dreams about work! I held s high position and wasps major part of the business, I have brilliant staff and I feel like I have let them down 😢 Has anyone experienced this ?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Workplace bullying

Hi Courage 77. It sounds as though you're the one who's being let down, not the other way around. How long before you return to the work force. Can I suggest while you're on 'stress leave' I presume you are, you consider your options about returning to the job that's caused you so much distress? Perhaps, also discuss with your partner (if there is one), your Dr/psych etc. Often we have to reconsider work options, even when we enjoy the work, but get no support.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Courage77

I agree with @pip - it's you that have been let down. Yours bosses, those who had the power to act and help/resolve the bullying should of stepped in. 

I have not experienced this personally but I have witnessed it in my present workplace - my manager was being bullied by another staff member who wanted her job. It really had a devastating mental effect on the manager. Luckily my husband is on the board. He offered the woman who was bullying another position on different days explaining their was a personality clash and that she was overriding authority (in reality it was her bid for power over the other woman - ruthlessness and she had been given countless warnings for over a year). But there certainly was a definite clash as a result. So husband had no choice but to let her go. She was not happy jumping up and down and threatening legal action etc - but he took the right steps, had the support of the other board members and staff (witnesses) and followed protocol.

Your bosses may have been reluctant because of threat of legal action? Or was it apathy? There shou,d be a protocol written up for how such bullying situations are handled - and the steps taken if employees are found to be engaging in such behaviour. Did your ex-business employer have such in place? 

If the bosses are not on side there is not much choice but to leave and find other work - otherwise it becomes a health issue and is not worth that. So from what you said you did the right thing. Did Your ex-employer give you a good reference? Once you feel better I would urge you to try for other employment checking out their bullying policies before you apply for the job. Knowing your rights will empower you on how to deal with it if the problem should ever arise again - don't give up, don't let them win. Warm hugs xx

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Courage77

It's unbelievable how they treated you in such tragic circumstances. You would of been despairing. I hope your daughter is alright now - it can be a work in progress.. My daughter to had made an attempt on her life - again due to bullying at school (that we weren't aware of and sexual assault whilst she was not living at home). Her self esteem is low and I am still supporting her through yet another low period. We will get there eventually.

It's a pity you were talked into staying as it seems to have done you untold damage. It's understandable how you are feeling now and early days. Be kind to you and allow this time to heal - you don't have to face anything now, all in good time. This is the time to let yourself rest and heal.

It does sound like there was a breach of policy - I hope you can get some justice and closure. Warm hugs x

@Courage77. I am also on WorkCover. Understaffed and overworked for a bloody long time. All staff attended meetings with management and OH&S. They promised lots and delivered - zero. Then I had a scary incident with client. Management and senior management in the building. I asked for help. They told me to go away. Acute stress, PTSD, Depression and anxiety. WorkCover psychiatrist keeps finding me sick. Work 'terminated' my employment - they met their obligations under the act.
Work did everything they could to sabotage my claim. But I was Admin & I knew all the meeting minutes. And I was / am sick. They bullied me right to the end. It's been 2 years.
Have been treated for PTSD - successfully. Still in therapy for depression and anxiety. Have had 26 day hospital stay this year due to SI. But am now learning new coping techniques and my psychologis is doing CBT with me. Things are heaps better but still have bad days.
I recommend that you work really hard with your therapist so that you don't get any sicker.
The way your work treated you is unexceptable. I'm sorry it happened. You did nothing wrong. You have not let anyone down. You fought for so long.
Now it's time for you to heal. Keep working with your therapist. If workcover wants you to do a back to work program - returning to work - ask them what has changed since you left? How has the bullying been stopped. Can they guarantee it.
Like the others, I'd suggest not returning there. They have prooved their priorities and it's not looking after you.
That's the unfortunate situation.
Remember- you have done nothing wrong

Don't think you've let anyone down. Bullying is insidious and at the time it feels like your core is being stripped away. I experienced it big time in my previous place of employment and left because of it. At the time I did feel bad about the substandard service my clients would get but to hell with that, that fell on the company. In the end everyone in that department left one by one within about 6 months. No point being a hero, if it causes too much pain just walk away, no shame. It certainly makes you more attune to it in the future. One person in my current work has tried to cause issues but now I'm vocal enough to confront the problem head on because I don't want to see it repeat. I'm happy to share my story with those who appear under attack too.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance