Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: Anger

@cloudcore . Before I went into remission a year ago for my Major Depression, I pretty much had no emotions for years and years. So once full remission hit I have been flooded with emotions and struggle to cope. But lots and lots of Therapy, some Meditation and Mindfulness and have helped me.

How do you manage and cope with anger?

I like to step out of the situation and give myself some time out. I later mentalise and reflect on what has happened with the hope of gaining a clearer perspective of the situation. I then work towards whatever is needed whether it be to debrief with someone, clarify a situation etc.

I make sure I do not contact people (email, msg, phone) when I am angry - because it tends to always come out in a way I later regret.

@utopia @cloudcore @TideisTurning @SJT63 @Arizona 

@cloudcorelately journaling, distraction witn self care, avoidance/getting away from the person or situation, not replying ro the message until im ready, and addressing the anger i guess/acknowledging what im feeling. 

Been some thought provoking questions, interested to see what the next topic will be. 

RedHorse
Senior Contributor

Q4. I manage and cope with anger by:
- Yelling and/or crying
- Scribbling and tearing things up
- Moving/walking/exercising
- Taking PRN meds

- SH (regretfully)
- Spending time with my horse
- Journalling
- Drawing
- Discussing it with others
- Meditating
- Therapy

Hey @RedHorse 

Sadly, I have done a lot of the things you describe, but we never had horses, however I did give riding lessons to my kids so they could have that experience a little.

Heart

@utopia You touched on an important point about not being in touch with feelings of anger.  I have had that a lot.

Heart

@SJT63  Giving oneself permission to feel anger is a huge issue.  I have had to deal with one a lot too.  

Ironically after I was instructed to get into my anger, I then was placed in an uber delicato baby caring situation and so had to clamp down on my anger consciously (mid 20s).  As a kid it had never been conscious repression of anger. I was a little cork bobbing on a huge ocean and anger was simply never a viable option.

Over the years I have looked at and worked on all the psychologically "legit" ways of dealing with mager, but they actually assume many factors that are not always present or available to the individual "in the moment".

Final Question:

How do you manage and cope with anger?

I write about it in a document on the computer, like an angry letter to the person, but don't send it. I avoid that person /situation and go and hide from the world for a while. I cry and think endlessly about the situation till it begins to make some sense to me. Writing it down helps it to begin to make sense. If there is no sense that I can see then I try to work on my response. I usually want to angrily contact that person but I make myself not do it till I've thought it all through and hopefully recovered from my anger. 

I have been known to slam doors, smash glass, sh, alcohol, cry or I’ll entertain si, write, go for a run, weed the garden.

I’m calmer with my anger responses now than I used to be but Itend to bottle it up more resulting in migraine.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance