Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: for all the people who have given up smoking..... how did you do it

Goodonyer @eudemonism

Sometimes the scary part is making the decision - and you've done that

You have probably read the whole thread and the ideas listed - I can repeat what worked for me and give you support

Wow - another person has decided to quit - I can tell you that I feel a lot better since I quit and it's a long time ago now

All the best

Dec

What changes did you notice in your day to day life @Owlunar

Hi @eudemonism

Good work with the quit programme - I wish you the best - it is worth giving up

Many things improved when I stopped smoking - day to day I just felt better - I had made the decision so I mentally stopped thinking about it and that was a big hurdle cleared. 

I had extra cash - and I felt fresher - my clothes and hair didn't have that stale tobacco smell and my throat didn't tickle and itch as much

I didn't smoke for long - maybe 10 years and I only smoked as an adult - but during the time I did smoke I had nausea and I would throw up from time to time - that passed off quickly - and it has been many years

I generally feel better and I have stopped trying to justify smoking when I really did believe the Government Health Warnings

Now after all these years and I really forget how many I have lost the "urge" and no longer feel like grabbing a cigarette out of someone's hand 

Possibly one of the best things I have noticed since I quit is that food tastes better and I have a stronger sense of smell - and this includes cigarette smoke - I really hate that now and it seems I am more sensitive to it. I have thought though that could be because people smoke less in public places than they did in years past

One of my grandchildren has quit since I did and my daughter has been very proud of my quitting and although I am not sure there are ways of knowing things - I think she has quit too - we do influence other people

Again - all the best Eude - I don't remember craving cigarettes but we need to find something to do with our hands - one thing that prompted my quitting was I wanted a mobile phone and quitting was how I paid for it but the good thing was playing games on my phone - 

Dec

ps - I discovered I why I started smoking and dealt with the issue - which was getting an irritating guy out of my life - that was a huge improvement as well

Things are never straight forward - there is always something else lurking under the something else

Thanks @Owlunar what was the initial withdrawal phase like? Like first day, second day and third day? Then the first week, the second week and third week? Ya see my addiction is complicated, there's coffee and alcohol and medication to consider as well... plus my lifestyle and friends which have all revolved around smoking...

I'll put some thought into trying to work out why i smoke also. I've got a few ideas but am abit unsure...

Eude

Couldn't lie about it... Was extremely difficult. But I had a goal to to stop as tobacco smoke is extremely harmful for children. I just had to. So I tried e-cigs. It was a surprise even for my wife that I haven't smoked a single cigarette since. Yes, it's just another habit, but not harmful. I bought it online, you might wanna get yourself one too if you can't give up smoking easily: https://www.mygadget.us/. Anyways, I think this is really an option for those who tried everything but just can't give it up.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance