Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

1mouth4voices
Contributor

Abandonment anxiety...sort of?

The more I think about things and remember different details throughout my younger life I realise I've had this disorder since I was very very young. But like all things, I got used to it after a while, and so, anxiety attacks for instance were 'normal', the voices discussing and relaying a "no" for me to answer the psychiatrist when questioned "do you hear voices in your head?" never occurred to me as an issue, I just thought it was normal.

Long story short, I appear to have 4 major episodes, and 4 voices. 

Oddly enough, when in my 'confident, feel good' episode is generally when my voices come about the most. Trying, succeeding to drag me down, ruining everything I try, hurting what little I love and have left.

But here's the thing, usually in 2 of the other episodes, these ones aren't so much about confidence and feeling good, the voices are silent, almost like they are gone.

I spend a lot of time in my head, it's both the safest and most dangerous place for me to spend my time. But when these horrible voices go quiet, suddenly I'm all alone.

It has taken me years to realise but some of the constant anxiety and attacks that I experience when they are gone...it's because they are gone.

I know my mind is messed up, I know I'm not right, that's why I avoid a lot of people. Nobody really gets me, nobody knows much of who I am. But out of everything, the realisation that I suffer seperation anxiety when these abusive, destructive voices aren't around is very, unsettling.

Sadly, I can relate it to my past. Abusive drunk of a father, never had much time for me except when he wanted something, most likely to yell at me. And yet the random times when he wouldn't come home always felt like a nightmare. Same thing, anxiety, panic attacks until I passed out til morning.

I don't even know if I've made the point I wanted to, I've written to much now so I'm going to stop... I don't even know what I want from this? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Abandonment anxiety...sort of?

@1mouth4voices  Good morning 1mouth4voices (great name btw) and welcome to the forum. I have schizoaffective disorder and one main voice until I am totally 'mad' then I can have a chorus of voices all screaming at me .... abusing me. Since I have been on the 'right' amount of meds things have calmed down for me but at times I can still feel their presence. Deep inside my body if you know what I mean.

My dad was also an abusive alcoholic although I have learned overtime to forgive him .... it was very hard but I managed to. It was for my own sake though.

Just wanted to say welcome and that you are not alone. Feel free to have a look around the threads and when you are feeling ready add your voice to the discussions. BTW if you want to talk to someone directly just put a @infront of their name like I did for you and that will notify them that you have sent a post.:)

Take good care of yourself and I look forward to 'see'ing you around. greenpea

@greenpea I'm not to sure what I have, my diagnosis ranged from being a kid, being a teenager, depression and anxiety, bipolar, bipolar 2, and now bpd. Along with other things like clinical alcoholism, ptsd, disassociative disorder etc.

Unfortunately(sort of?) no medications work for me, but I understand 100% what you mean about the presence of the voices still being there. They still speak to you, but they make no sound.

I haven't seen anyone in over 5 years because I'd already tried everyone available to me, even online consults with doctors in different states.

I'm at a road block because the next treatment I need to try is called DBT, it is offered only at the private hospital. I cannot afford private health, especially when I also need to take 3-6 months off work for the treatment.

I always try to tell myself I forgive him, and I'm sure that I do. Strangely, the more that I do, the more that I realise it was the whole family, not just him. He was the worst no doubt about it, but it wasn't just him.

@1mouth4voices  Hi 1mouth4voices I am going to tag @Zoe7  into the conversation as she has been doing DBT for some time now and might be able to shed some light on how it all works for her (hope that is okay Zoe7 :)).

Tough about meds not working for you but yeah on the other hand I hear you it can also be a blessing. My doc says if I give up my meds she will put me in the public hands so I will have to get depot injections ..... so I keep taking my meds ....

Interesting you say it was the whole family. I agree we definately enabled my father's alcoholism in the end for a quiet life if nothing else. We were children it was all we knew was to give father alcohol meant we were left in peace.

Hey @1mouth4voices I have been doing DBT for about a year now and it has been beneficial for me. It is a great course to be able to learn how to recognise and deal with emotions. I have got a lot out of it. Most of what we have looked at in terms of skills are ones I already was aware of but placing them into structured modules and being able to talk about the skills in a group setting helps to clarify their uses in different situations and scenarios. It alsi helps to focus on one or two skills each week.

The premise of DBT is that we challenge our thinking in a practical and structured way and this I have found very valuable. It is well worth doing the course if you struggle with out of control emotions and/or find it hard to interact effectively with people.

If you have any questions about DBT then I am happy to answer them Smiley Happy

Hi @greenpea Happy for the tag here hon Heart

@Zoe7 Hi and thanks Zoe7 xxx

Unfortunately alcohol brought with it nothing but peace, then again, so did no alcohol.

I'm very interested in trying DBT, I tried mindfulness with a psychiatrists years ago but it just caused anxiety attacks.

Perhaps one day I'll find somewhere with an accessible program. 

Damn auto correct, it's meant to say "Unfortunately alcohol brought with it nothing OF peace, then again, so did no alcohol." 

Hi @1mouth4voices 

I don't think I get voices that I can recognize but I do get panic attacks and suffer hugely from abandonment issues. 

I grew up with two alcoholic parents, very abusive to myself and my brother as well as each other. This went on our whole life, our mum passed away 5 years ago but our dad still is the same and I don't talk to him anymore.

My thoughts get way over the top of me most days and I don't understand relationships and people's actions.

Yes people are very difficult to figure out. It's like we're best off on our own, but only thrive when we are with others. 

My voices were hard to recognise, I have my own, two that compete kind of like good/bad which both sound the same as my own. The 4th is also me, just as a child. Though he only ever comes out with "I'm scared", which strangely enough he's only about when I'm feeling good. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance