Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Distressing dreams confused with reality

hi @Kaykay sorry you're having bad dreams. I'm glad your reality is happier & more stable than what's depicted in your dreams. I hope you can find a solution soon.

I suffer from a psychotic illness which is like a horrible nightmare playing all the time, during my sleeping and waking hours. It's accompanied by the feeling of being trapped and powerless and an unrelenting enraged mood, from moment to moment it only gets worse. I used to drink to get any relief from it during my waking hours. Now I fortunately have a good psychiatrist who has helped me with two meds. One med gets mostly rid of the psychotic symptoms and enraged mood, the other med helps me to sleep (which I wasn't really doing, just tossing & turning & sweating through nightmares) and so I have fewer dreams. My dreams if I have them are still very bad but I have much fewer of them and sleep better. And during my waking hours I feel a lot calmer & more connected to reality rather than being terrorised & very distracted by psychotic nightmare-like symptoms.

I hope it helps to know you're not alone in suffering bad dreams. Have you explored trialling medications to help with your quality of sleep? Have you ever thought you suffer from psychotic symptoms (though from what you describe it doesn't sound like it) & that they could benefit from medication?

Re: Distressing dreams confused with reality

Hey crew, @BryanaCamp  thank you for your super supportive posts. Love seeing this much care and empathy on the forums. Just a reminder to everyone on the forum it's important to consult with your own practitioner's around medication trials and changes, in addition it's important we're careful when discussing alcohol as a coping mechanism. This thread is fine so far Heart Just want to make sure people are connecting with the right supports when in need of professional advice.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance