Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Living a lie

Hey @outlander 

Hope you are travelling safely. 

yes flashbacks have been explained to me but there is a link that they are flashbacks and not actually happening that I can't make. I 100% believe that it happens every night. this really gets in the way of things and I always seem to get to a point with psych that is just so stuck.  

how do you just get unstuck? I know I need  to, as I can't continue like this. Currently I sleep as little as possible as when I sleep I am Awakened by stuff. 

Re: Living a lie

it can be hard to determine what is real and what isnt when they happen @ApricotJam
grounding techniques are usually what helps for this but everyones different and need to find whats most helpful. there are so many grounding techniques though. Your brain when its reliving these memories needs to come back to the present moment.
For me i found putting a new item in my room like a nice new picture or a lava lamp or something so when they happen i can look at the picture and focus on the details rather then the flashback.
i understand being stuck, i think that is also part of life. we need to try and manage the best we can with what we have at the time.
I am often stuck mentally and in other aspects in my life but i found breaking things down most helpul. for example if i was overwhelmed with the massive list of things i needed to do id do the most important things first and anything after that was a bonus job for the day. if im stuck on a situation and cant make a decision, i will write down the list of outcomes and the pros and cons to try and decide what would be best.
When it comes to flashbacks and other symptoms sometimes rather then focussing on a whole so for example being overwhelmed by all the symptoms we experience, break it down and work on the symptoms that can be managed to start with. sometimes getting unstuck means taking very small steps first and working towards the bigger ones.

perhaps if your current psychologist isnt helpful, sometimes it can be ok to just see someone else and get a fresh perspective as well.
A psychiatrist may be helpful at this point as well to help with some medications if you would be willing to give them ago as well.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance