Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Night Time

Hey @SJT63, I just wanted to drop by and say that your experiences and what you have been through are just as valid as anyone else here. I've also fallen prey to the trap of comparing my experiences to those of others, and it's an instinct I often have to challenge. Something I've learned though is that for us, our experiences are big, just as others' experiences might be big for them. What matters most is the impact and what they mean for each of us individually. 

Well shit @SJT63 dont go thinking that. I'd never minimise what someone has been through or experiences today. Grinding teeth is the worst, and yeah have also done the biting tongue thing. Pretty foul when you wake up to pieces of your tongue or teeth in your mouth hey?

Everyones got their shit @SJT63 you have just as much right to share and heal as anyone else here does. You're always welcome to tag me in your posts if you ever needa chat 👍

@AussieRecharger Oh yeah it's a lot of fun haha

but no that actually helped seeing it written out there for me. Makes it seem more like a logical and rational response. Dare i say it, kind of helped? You're not my therapist are you? Kind of sounds like what he'd say to me haha

Yeah well I think I'm too far down the rabbit hole to back out of therapy now. Probably just be leaving me more broken than when I started 

@SJT63 

The part of your brain that controls you grinding your teeth does not know about trauma, it just knows stress, danger and works to keep you in survival mode.  The logical part of your brain where you rationalise your trauma vs others has no bearing on how your body is responding to your issues.   

Your issues can be just as terrifying and debilitating as anyone else's @SJT63, Your trauma is not an apples vs apples comparison, it's simply your brain responding to the signals in your body.  

You know i wont be far behind if you tag me and need to vent. 

Hi @saltandpepper , looks like I was up and checking out the forum at around the same time as you during the middle of last night. I have so often been on the forum in the hours between midnight and dawn. I feel drawn to respond to your discussion here, firstly because I also very often suffer hyperactive streams of memories, thoughts, perspectives, coming from all angles and clashing, etc.

In recent weeks I also started and stopped a series of three x 45 minute hypnosis sessions with my new psychologist for trauma release. I was not actually seeking trauma release therapy at this time, having abandoned that path long ago. But it was recommended by my old psychologist who felt I am still heavily affected by childhood trauma even at 59 and after decades of talk therapy.

Sexual and other body traumas have been part of my journey in this life too. The biggest sexual ones have been complex, the main long lasting one was without bad intent to me, and it doesn't feel helpful for me to call these rapes, though that's how my body responded.

One single experience in my late thirties would be labelled as date-rape by many people who give thought to this subject, and I myself have sometimes described it that way too. For me personally it's far from the worst thing I have experienced in life. I do not feel much post-trauma from it, though it's a troubling memory semi-regularly.

With that date-rape, like you I surrendered to it without overtly protesting at all. I seemed to quickly see that was the best and safest way to get it over with and get out of there. I believe I was right and that it may have been much worse if I had resisted. It was instinctual and actually wise.

Like you I can be outrageously hard on myself but I genuinely try not to judge myself for my own human reactions beyond my control.

Worse for me have been the medical traumas to my body due to generally delicate health all my life, painful chronic illnesses, surgeries. Even when the procedures have helped me, it's been hard not to confuse the invasions of my body with acts of torture.

I spent a decade or two long ago delving deeply into my childhood traumas but found no release from them that way, my mental health deteriorated even further.

That was a lot my own doing. I became convinced and obsessed that diving into the blackness of these worst things was a way to free myself from my actute mental and emotional suffering. Luckily I found my first psychiatrist at this time who travelled by my side with it for thirteen years and helped keep me alive during the worst of it.

From that delving time in early adulthood I related when you described "longing for pre-therapy days". It seems to me now that it's at the very least possible that I may have been less heavily burdened and dark in heart and mind over my whole adult life if I had not delved into my own traumas. I have even said that the self-therapy process was traumatic in itself.

But many other aspects of mental health treatments of various kinds have helped me over my life on a spectrum of small to big. Coming together slowly over a long time, they have added up to a much better quality of life these days.

When I was in the darkest times of my trauma delving earlier in my life, I almost literally wrote my way through a suicidal year. The super fast and intrusive streams of thoughts like you describe too had to come out somewhere or I felt I would explode.

These days I am exploring mindfulness, gently strengthening my body through building up exercise activities, silently in nature, noticing stuff on streets, taking pics of odd things. I am seeking the healing spaces beyond my words, thoughts and intellect, of which I have been so top-heavy most of my life. I am seeking peace of mind and relaxation as I head into this senior phase of my life.

There is an affirmation I was given in a recent hypnosis (non-trauma), that is relaxing my mind and strong tendencies to cruelly and unfairly judge myself in my own mind: I am. That's enough. I am. I am enough.

There have been so many helpful perspectives from other members posted here. I realise many of the things I have related may be different to others' perspectives on trauma. We are each so truly different and our healing paths are so individual to us. We have to find our own truths.

@SJT63 while you may not be sick as you say, as these events giving you a mental illness?

Hi @saltandpepper  and @Emelia8 ,

@saltandpepper  Glad therapy is easing your nightmares. I sincerely hope you regain your health and recover fully! 

Here's a video called Once Upon A Crime. It will be helpful to all victims of crime.

If anyone here is a victim of crime, you may seek assistance from Victim Assistance Program

Hey @Mazarita thanks for sharing with me, and for all the effort tbat went into your response, I really appreciate it.

sounds like we can relate quite a bit with experiences hey? And yeah, the staying on top of health issues is rough isn't it? Was just discussing that with Emelia the other day.

Hindsight is a bit tricky here I think. The truth is we can't be sure how things would play out whether you delve deep into past trauma or not. I suppose it's just as likely that not going back to it could have also had the same negative impact on you and your life. But as my therapist said in the beginning going back isn't helpful for everyone. For me, I don't know if it is helpful, at times I'm sure it isn't. But, I can't not. I need to. Want doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Perhaps it was a bit that way for you too re the exploding thoughts thing and needing to get it all out?

Good luck on your continued journey @Mazarita Im glad you've found some new ways to help cope with the trauma. And thanks again for sharing with me

@SJT63  Thanks for sharing, I'm glad this conversation has helped you to open up.

There's a few things that jump out at me here. I hope it's ok for me to get into it.

I think there tends to be this concept floating around that when you're in a committed relationship, sex is a given, and if someone isn't keen, it doesn't seem to matter. It's kind of fu*ked up really. If it were a random person and they weren't into it, you wouldn't just be like, "but I wanna, come on". Would you?

"You don't say no because you don't want him to be hurt or angry"

I understand that compulsion, completely, but in turn by him proceeding is he showing any consideration for your feelings or needs? Why are your needs less important than his? They're not. I'd describe this dynamic as essentially manipulating and controlling you. You feel you have no power.

The problem with having sex when you don't want to is that your brain and body tend to respond to the situation like it would in any other "r" word case. Your brain will start to associate sex with trauma. This is actually very common for a lot of couples in long term relationships, ok? So don't feel like you're alone here. And it can be undone, with help.

First, you have every right to say no. And it is in fact going to be beneficial in the long run. If you have sex when you don't want it, you're going to keep conditioning your brain to think that way. And it is traumatising. Just as any other unwanted sexual act is. You're having sex when you don't want to, of course that's going to cause feelings of trauma.

If your partner wants to carry on and be a di*k about it all, that is his problem. You aren't responsible for the way he responds. Sex isn't supposed to be a trade off. It shouldn't be done for the "benefit" of one person. You deserve to enjoy it as much as anyone, and you have every right to say no or change your mind

Is it possible to have a conversation about this with your partner when sex isn't on the horizon? It might take a few conversations, it will, but if either of you want to get back to a having a healthy sex life then he needs to hear what this is doing to you. It's something you deserve to work through, and he should respect that.

I try very hard to respond to everyone here with as much help and insight as I can. But sex is one of my main issues and I can't always help. So I hope what I've said is useful. I just want to reinforce that you don't deserve to be in a place where you consider "good sex" is you not crying. That's not ok. You don't deserve that. No one deserves that.

Hey @saltandpepper 

I welcomed reading another one of your threads.  So much thoughtfulness and reality in dealing with a loaded experience which has become a loaded term, that has even increased the battle of the sexes and misunderstandings more than anything.  

It is great that both men and women have been able to relate to your post.  That is a huge PLUS.

Smiley Happy

In my family history there so many confused and difficult issues around sexuality, which lead to a lot of confusion in me. I never knew where to start talking about it, except once I read in a file my father had experienced rape only about 20 years ago, it was long after he was dead, I had a key to the huge puzzle.  

At the moment I am getting a lot out of these 

youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygq_Pz8GEyY 

Because they present things with a little more nuance that refelcts my experiences better.

The world needs good enough dads.  No-one should have to be perfect, and when people pretend they are I can back away, now, which is an improvement in my circumstances. 

Good enough is fine, cos it also means modelling more authenticity to the child..

Take Care Mate

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance