Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

outlander
Community Guide

Physical effects of anxiety/depression/ptsd/health anxiety

Im wondering if anyone else usually has a tight chest like a closed throat feeling and constant bad nausea?
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Physical effects of anxiety/depression/ptsd/health anxiety

Hey @outlander . When my anxiety is really huge I get hit with nausea. I feel like throwing up almost always. It can feel like morning sickness, which I used to get all day. The closed throat thing I feel heaps when I am about to burst out in tears, or I am sucking up crying. And the tight chest thing, yes I feel that too. It's like someone is sitting on my chest and it can feel like I am struggling to breathe. That's when I know I am feeling panicked or overwhelmed. 

I've found noticing what's happening in my body really interesting, as sometimes the messages my body sends me are big. There's some very interesting work being done on the way the body responds to trauma. I can see if I can find an article to share if you'd be interested in reading it. It might help you to see that these physical sensations and experiences are fairly common. 

I have just caught up on your day today. Huge. Hugs Outlander ❤️

Do u get a really fast racibg heart
And either heavy breathes or short shallow breathes? @CheerBear

How do control them i don't want to be sick anymore 😞

Sometimes my heart races @outlander. Every time I feel the big jolt of fear it does and sometimes it can be like that for a while. Sometimes it gets whacky and does some strange beats which have meant I've had to have it looked at a couple of times.

I think noticing what's happening is the first step towards feeling like I can take control of it. Noticing it and not trying to force it to stop. I think I remember speaking with you before about how sometimes I literally talk to parts of my body. It sort of is my way of saying, ok I see what is happening here. That might sound super strange but I think of those things my body does as like it's way of talking to me telling me to notice something. If I talk back (or notice it) sometimes that's enough to chill my body out for a while. I've had to do it heaps over the last week and a half, particularly with my legs which seem to want to run really quickly sometimes.

As for being sick goes, at my worst I can do days without food and it always makes nausea worse. It can be so hard when you are feeling sick to eat anything, but if I could sneak in little things it would help. Crackers, an apple etc. I tried smoothies and some were ok and some made it worse but eating little bits can make a big difference.

Hi @CheerBear

I agree totally with @outlander.

I suffer from anxiety with BPD and I get all those symptoms.

As @CheerBear said we were taught in DBT the sooner you let the anxiety "wash over you"  ie. letting it happen as you cant stop it, its a physcial side effect of your anxiety the sooner it goes away which I found to be true.

Another thing that can help at the time is deep breathing excercises, this has helped me a lot.

When my chest is pounding and I feel nauseas I just try while taking a big breath in saying to myself - in with the good and then slowly breathe out saying out with the bad.  This can help the chest to calm down a bit.

But its definitely good to acknowledge it happening and realise ok I'm having an axiety attack, it cant physcially hurt me so the best is for me to let it do its thing and maybe do some breathing.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ill write my reply as its long when i get in my comp instead of my phone @CheerBear @Change123
But i do want to say thank god im not the only onr and thank you both for replying ❤❤

So just keep trying to breathe through everything and letting all the feelings and thoughts just wash over and learn to identify the first sign as well ?
@CheerBear @Change123

Ive tried deep breathing but sometimes when i feel nauseous it makes me feel worse in the stomach or if my chest is super tight it hurts to breathe deeply .....

I get all those symptoms too it sucks i find hugging something tightly can help. 

Hi. I have suffered from this since 3 or 4 years old and I'm now close to 68 and I'm still suffering super bad anxiety depression. I was severely traumatised as a young kid and I take 3 tablets for nausea a day because I'm so worried about vomiting because I've been doing it for years. This of course makes me more anxious. 
so I know how you feel and one of my psychologist told me and showed me how to breathe a panic attack away. This does help. I wish you well 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance