Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Suffocating Day

@Meowmy 

Has always been a problem for me. Never been emotionally close with family. Never have had any friends. Common interests and hobbies are supposed to help, yeah, but I have found that they don't. Like I said, I feel like I am invisible. Unseen, if not physically, definitely emotionally. I can go to a class or a group and be there for a year or more, and not find anyone to even talk with. Have been going to a bowling group for 13 years and there is nobody there to talk with. That is common for me. 

@JosRapp that's very tough for you. I don't know what to suggest. In my case, I am having my own MI, work issues , relationship issues, problems looking after elderly mother. I find it very challenging. Day to day , it's a big struggle. May be can you reach out to some people ? Try a bit of conversation.

@Meowmy sorry you are going through all that. 

I have difficulty starting and joining conversations. Even online. Finding someone to talk with is hard enough. I have looked on the Social Spaces here, but even there it feels like I am intruding on someone elses conversation. I know I'm not but it always feels like I am and I get lost amongst everyone else. 

@JosRapp socialization is not easy. I have been to functions where I was not much included in the conversations. It is easier if you know people over some years, like Uni friends, family friends,or work friends.May be you could look people up. These days there’s Facebook or other media people may be on.

@Meowmy 

I haven't had any friends, so there is nobody to look up. 

@JosRapp It is very tough for you.Emotional relationships are not easy to manage or maintain. May be you might find comfort in reading. Reading people’s thinking can be good company. There was a period in my life, I survived with little real life friends and just read and listened to music. That probably saved me from much poor relationships.lol.

@Meowmy I read a lot already. I like it, reading has always been an escape from bullying and loneliness, but the characters aren't real people. I have tried bookclubs and reading groups, but they always seem to be much, much older people, and goes the same way as any other group. 

@JosRapp Yea very hard for you. Emotional support is essential for our survival. Without it, I don’t know what to suggest. Some people put tv, radio on all day in their houses for company. That works a bit.

@Meowmy I do that sometimes, but it is no substitute for someone. There is no emotional support so I don't know, it feels like it will always be like this. 

@JosRapp May be just accept it a bit, as not much can be done in a hurry. Just think a bit differently. All emotional relationships are very draining. Ups and downs a lot. Some good moments, a lot of hard work and feel bad times. Without them, you may just more in control. And can do as you please . You never know, around the corner, you may bump into someone, who just cut to accept you as who you are. I know it’s hard. But it can be done.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance