Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Rm1880
New Contributor

A bit about me

Hi, I'll be almost in my mid 30s in a month, I was diagnosed in 2016 with schizophrenia after my first episode in 2014 and spent up until 2022 quite unwell until a change in meds, I refused help for many years and have made great progress in the past year or so with the help of meds and accepting the help being offered and was recently approved for the ndis, I still struggle with symptoms everyday but I can manage for the most part, I'm almost halfway through my goal of staying out of hospital for a year and the meds have given me great insight into my mental health recently, I would like to reach a state of recovery one day even if I'm not symptom free just more stable and better equipped at dealing with symptoms and stress 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A bit about me

My 29 year old granddaughter have been diagnosed seven years ago with

schizophrenia. But now it’s really bad.she refuses all help. When some one call the ambulance for self harming ( removed by moderator) the police comes first, she is scared of all authority she is not working anymore and she have no money the family is supporting her with money 

she is living in my investment home unit rent free,

the unit is so filthy that you can’t step in.

She have flat mate but he is not her boyfriend but from her school from long time ago, She will jot go to centre link, she is not taking her medication. Who can help?.

@Margit the only thing that helped me make progress is starting on different medication but it's hard to get someone to take meds unless they're on a treatment order 

Hi @Margit , I had issues related to schizophrenia years ago, but after an overseas trip I came back feeling disconnected from the world around me. Medication was awful, treatment was terrible, and all I really needed was somebody I could with. It took many years to find a good psychologist who took the time to listen to my concerns.

I was naturally a giving person but after many years found I couldn't absorb anyone else's problems anymore. For me helping others gave me meaning in life, but I found I could no longer work out how to help myself. Now I'm doing much better and have found ways to help others without draining myself too much.

EDIT: Medication is not always the answer and forcing it on others often makes it worse. Are you more worried about her feelings or your own?

Hi @Rm1880 ,

Thank you for sharing your amazing story of resilience, determination and recovery. I can certainly relate to it. It's wonderful to know that things do improve but it takes effort from the other side too.

@Margit , I'm sorry to hear how bad things have become for your grand-daughter. It sounds like she needs help but is not willing to receive help. If is she living rent free in your investment property, does she need to work? I can see that she may fall into comfort, knowing that family will give her money, and she doesn't have to worry about finding somewhere to live or paying bills.

Do you think your grand daughter is quite comfortable and that's why she doesn't see the need to get help?

Hi @Rm1880 

Congratulations on your achievements thus far. It takes time to understand ourselves and better understand our diagnosis and what works for us. You have really positive and achievable goals. Here is some up to date info on Schizophrenia...Schizophrenia (sane.org). Progress isn't linear so be gentle with yourself. Keep going, you are doing well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance