Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

April59
New Contributor

Depression

I have had many episodes of depression and anxiety over many years.  I'm in a episode now and found that my cognitive ability is the worst it's ever been.  I'm on meds for insomnia.  I just wonder if something else is happening as I have no motivation,  no purpose despite otherwise feeling capable.  I feel pretty disillusioned cause I can't see a physcologist to help me out of this episode.  I'm lost.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Depression

Good morning @April59  and welcome to the forums where, I’m sure you’ll find lots of helpful and friendly people.

I am sorry your depression is causing you distress at this time and also that you can’t get into see a psychologist.

Do you have a supportive GP that you trust? A medical check might be helpful at this time and could either rule out or identify any underlying cause.

When I feel low and unmotivated I try to play some music and pamper myself in a bubble bath.

A little forum tip is you can put @ before someone’s name to alert them of your reply.

Sending kind thoughts tri you today.

💖

Hey @April59 💜

Welcome to the Forums, I hope that this can be a space where you can feel safe and supported.

It can be a scary feeling when you feel something is not quite right. 

I wonder if it might be a time to check in with your GP to have a chat about what you have been noticing, they might be able to link you in with some support local to you, too. 

I also encourage you to reach out to any of the following helplines for support in the meantime:

SANE Help Centre: 1800 187 263 (Monday - Friday, 10am-10pm)

Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636 (24/7)

Lifeline: 13 11 14 (24/7)

Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467 (24/7)

Take good care of yourself, @April59. These are not easy feelings to be sitting with.

Kind regards

Peregrinefalcon 

@April59

So glad you found the SANE forums. Do take time to look around and read posts you are interested in. It can be reassuring to connect with others who are or have experienced similar things to you.

I have had episodes of depression and anxiety too. Loosing motivation & energy to do things have been common for me when depressed. But also some symptoms that you could consider cognitive, like having trouble concentrating on what I am doing, difficulties remembering things, making decisions, and finding it hard to think. What things do you experience that make you concerned that your cognitive abilities are worsening?

I see it as anxiety hijaking my thoughts - so that my head is mostly taken up with worries and what ifs, with less room to process other thoughts. The more anxious I am the less able I am to think. Lack of sleep also exacerbates my thinking difficulties. Sometimes medications can have side effects too.

It can be difficult to get appointments to see psychologists, and this can feel really worrying when you really want to get some help soon. But like @Eve7 and @Peregrinefalcon have said, it can help to talk it through with your GP. They can help you figure out if the cognitive symptoms you are experiencing could be something else. They can review any medications you are on to check that they are working. They may have suggestions of where you may be able to get a support sooner - perhaps telehealth with a psychologist from a different area, or could help you choose a web-based service.

Some web-based services include Mindspot, Moodgym, E-couch, Mental health online or Thiswayup  These web-based services are generally self-help courses which are designed by mental-health professionals and often supported by them. The first 3 are free, the 4th (Mental health online) is free for the self-help but low cost for support from a mental health professional. The 5th (Thiswayup) is free if you are prescribed it by a medical professional, but costs if you sign up yourself.  I used Mindspot a few years ago and liked that I could choose to have a mental health professional phone or email to check in how I was going and they kept my GP informed of my progress. You don't need a referral to these services, but I found it useful to keep my GP informed with what I was doing & could have further personalised conversations prompted by what I was learning on the course. Another one that several mental health professionals have reccomended is Centre for Clinical Interventions - self-help resources.

Other options for support include:

Employee Assistance Program - many workplaces have them. Usually allows you a limited number of sessions with a mental health professional (often by phone, but some do in person, Zoom or other ways). They don't usually require your issues to be work related, though what you say is confidential and not revealed to your workplace. Usually but not always someone in your workplace, such as your manager will know that you are accessing services, but nothing more.

If you are studying - your Uni, Tafe or education provider may have other options for mental health/ wellbeing support.

Good luck & remember you are not alone. You can always reach out for more support here on forums.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance