Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

TheJuZShoW
Senior Contributor

Family and Current Flooding in QLD.

This week I found out of about the flooding up in Brisbane. My father lived in an area where it was only a 5min walk to the nearest wharf along the river, which I found really scary. Even though at times my relationship with him might be cold or lop sided I care about him a lot. I was really worried sick thinking he still lived in the same area. Then I found out from him that he had moved 3 hours away and had been there since January. He didn't even give me his new address the moment he moved in. He had me worried sick all yesterday afternoon and not giving me the info I was supposed to know. I then find out his partner hadn't been doing too well and has to undergo some tests. Touch wood she doesn't have to undergo another bout of cancer. I spent this week, especially yesterday keeping an eye on my father and making sure that everyone was ok over there. I then texted his partner to let her know I am thinking of her. We always got along. 

And then as I went to bed I got really emotional. I then started to think about starting to be prepared for when my cat would pass on. He is turning 12 this year. I know it seems funny or odd. But he has been my rock since I adopted him last year. I look at him and I just feel stronger. I had been thinking of worst case scenarios, got overwhelmed and just cried. I cried for almost an hour like I needed that time. Then the guy I have a massive crush on rang me on video call and all of a sudden I felt better. We made each other laugh, I listened to him practice his guitar, we talk about lots of things. This made me feel so much better and feel like I had a balance. A balance of emotion. I am hopeful that things will work out. Lately I had my head screwed on feeling and being in more control of my alcohol consumption. Just last night was very much a catch 22 or a bit of column A or column B.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Family and Current Flooding in QLD.

I hear how stressful it was to be worried about your family with the flooding. I have noticed at times when I have a sudden release of emotion that things can add up in a compounded way where it feels rather overwhelming.

Having your cat & chatting with a friend sounds like it had its benefits for you.

How are you doing today @TheJuZShoW ?

I am doing better. I have been doing some meditation and getting myself together. The cutting down on how often I drink is working wonders. I wanted this more than I had realized. 

Oh thanks for letting me know that @TheJuZShoW . I am happy to hear of that clarity with your realisation.
Makes me think of ‘taking things’ … Bit by bit, step by step, moment to moment, day by day.

All the best!

Hi @TheJuZShoW 

I knew I would be able to finally give up smoking cigarettes when I had the feeling it would be better for me.  Take care

I have been smoke free for 9 years and counting. Alcohol a work in progress.

Hi @TheJuZShoW sorry to hear about your experience.

Thankful that your father wasn't affected. All of my family are in SE QLD, my mum, my brothers, my nieces and nephews, my sister, my sister-in-laws etc. I couldn't really function yesterday as I was texting and calling everyone I could think of. They are all extremely lucky, just cut off and minimal property damage. 

Pets are extremely comforting and I have not been able to get one since I was a kid and we had a dog. One day hopefully but I often feel I could really benefit from the emotional support. Hoping you can find time to enjoy the time you have together ❤️ 

Sending love and support x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance